Q. Where does the unreleased follicle eggs go in a PCOD patient?

Dr. Sharmila Naik

I have PCOS. I want to know what happens to all these unreleased follicle eggs on ovaries? Why I have spotting after the period? And how can Yasmin help me? If it prevents ovulation so the number of follicle eggs would increase? What are the side effects once I get off Yasmin pills? Can you answer me with an explanation, please?

#

The unreleased follicles are multiple and tiny and small as the follicular phase is very long. FSH hormone is very high. They are all unripe and immature but one of them grows till ovulation (takes a long time in PCOS patients) and other undergo apoptosis, that is get dissolved. Some women experience spotting at the time of ovulation but not necessarily it could be due to ovulation. It could be mainly because of hormonal imbalances. I myself prescribe Yasmin to PCOS patients and works wonderfully as it is a low dose hormonal pill. It regularizes the menstrual cycle, the follicular phase becomes 14 days and luteal phase becomes 14 days, periods come on the exact date. It has Estrogen and Progesterone component which is active and it mimics like normal body rhythm (how it normally should be) unlike what imbalances happens in PCOS and corrects them. Spotting does not occur.

The number of follicles do not increase even if it inhibits ovulation by a complex mechanism but the follicular phase which is very long in PCOS patients gets corrected thereby leading to normal FSH levels. Free androgen circulating in the body get decreased. Side effects on stopping Yasmin are again irregular or delayed periods and hirsutism may increase as male hormone androgen is increased than estrogen and progesterone. But before starting Yasmin there should be no cardiovascular disorders or gallbladder disease or active liver disease as it is a hormonal pill. It gives protection from breast cancers and ovarian cancers as well. Once periods get regular after three months, Yasmin can be stopped. It has to be taken for 21 days from the first day of the period then wait for periods and again start a fresh pack.

| 

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full »

Is it enough to take one Yaz pill after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex before two days. The next day, I took one Yaz pill. Do I need to take more pills? Will it be effective?  Read Full »

Will high LH impact ovulation and healthy pregnancy in a PCOS patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32. I have PCOS for past seven years. Now planning to conceive with Gonadotropin injection and timed intercourse. But my day two blood work shows FSH 4.7, LH 11.2 and prolactin 9. Due to high LH will I get ovulation and if so, how will be the chances of having a healthy pregnancy?...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»