Q. I get abdominal distension and persistent diarrhea with high ALT and AST values. What is my problem?

Dr. Hiren Patel

I am 49 years old and I have been drinking approximately 350 ml of vodka every day for approximately 10-15 years. I also have smoked half pack a day for 30 years but just recently quit. For the past year and a half (maybe even two years) I have had diarrhea daily. I went to a doctor who prescribed IBS medicine and B12 shots, but nothing changed. My stomach is large, distended, and hard. When I eat half a sandwich or six bites of salad, I am so bloated I cannot move. I feel a dull bruise like pain (very dull) in my lower right quadrant from time to time maybe once every two weeks.

My AST and ALT levels are high (112 and 113), glucose is 116, absolute eosinophils are 720H. I have attached my lab reports. My guess is, this is liver disease, pancreas disease, or diabetes. Any ideas? Do I have to quit drinking? Or can I cut back?

I am currently taking Stelara for psoriasis.

#

I think there are multiple issues. You need proper workup. Your ALT (alanine transaminase) / AST (aspartate transaminase) are due to alcohol-related liver disease, better is to do USG (ultrasound) abdomen.

Other issues are, I had gone through your blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your hemoglobin and hematocrit are in range of polycythemia vera which is a blood coagulation disorder. So what is feel is you need a good doctor hematologist for polycythemia and related to your gastric issues.

USG abdomen and endoscopy with biopsy can be done if possible, as this will tell us liver and pancreas status as alcohol affects both. Second thing, stop smoking which is a culprit for your high Hb so to get that worked up there are series of tests need to be done. My advice is to choose a good doctor to get everything thing done.

| 

Vomiting and Diarrhea

Article Overview: Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days. Rest and drinking fluids to prevent dehydration are the only treatment that is needed, but it is not always true. ...  Read Article

A 3-year-old girl swallowed a magnet 11 days ago. What is the management?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old granddaughter swallowed a thin magnet 11 days ago. We have been three times to the ER for X-rays. It is in the lower intestine but has not moved for several days. Today at the hospital, the surgeon said they would not attempt a colonoscopy or any procedure. If it remains...  Read Full »

Can asthma be permanently cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My son aged 4 years and 4 months is premature by birth at 34 weeks. His current weight is 15.5 kg. He always used to get a cough and sometimes fever in an interval of every two to three months, especially since last one year. However, there is no other visible physical or mental problem ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»