Q. I am embarrassed about my abnormal heart rhythms. Kindly help me.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

I hear a weird rhythm in my heart for a year. Sometimes, my heart pumps faster, and sometimes, it pumps slowly. I feel like catching my breath. I also have a tight feeling in my chest. It happened around four times last year. Then, I did not hear it for months. I thought that it has gone. I am anxious about it. It creeps me out when I have it. I want to know whether it is a serious issue.
# Hi,

These palpitations occur due to differences in heart rhythms. Most commonly, it occurs due to premature beats of extrasystoles followed by slow rhythms and then normal rhythm occurs again. It is not a serious issue mostly. But it is serious in some conditions. If you have dizziness, syncope, loss of consciousness at the time of palpitations, then these conditions require investigations. I suggest you do ECG (electrocardiogram) while having palpitations.

|