Q. I had unprotected pregnancy four days before medical abortion. Is there any chance of pregnancy?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I was three months pregnant and recently had a medical abortion. I had unprotected intercourse four days before the abortion. I was given 200 mcg of Mifepristone and two days later Misoprostol which expelled the pregnancy. (the intercourse occurred six days before the Misoprostol).

I am worried that this may start a new pregnancy after the abortion was completed as sperm can live up to seven days and if I ovulated immediately after abortion the sperm could be alive to start a new pregnancy.

Please can you help me and give me an explanation of the following:

Can 200 mcg of Mifepristone be effective at preventing pregnancy, if taken four days (96 hours) after unprotected sex? I have found information on the internet which says in some countries that Mifepristone is used as an effective emergency contraceptive. However, they say small doses of up to 50 mcg. Please tell me whether 200 mcg would be most effective?

#

There seems to be confusion about the dose of Mifepristone which you know about. Usually, three 200 mg tablets (600 mg total) orally administered Mifepristone as a single one time dose and two days later Misoprostol is given. Your idea about 200 mcg Mifepristone is therefore incorrect.

Regarding ovulating immediately after medical abortion is not possible. This is because the hormones in your body are still abnormal and ovulation will not occur in this situation.

I guess you have been given 200 mg of Mifepristone and there is no risk of pregnancy from sexual intercourse four days after the abortion. The uterus is not ready to have another pregnancy right now so there is no risk to you.

| 

Will one dose of Mifepristone help in abortion?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a five-week pregnant woman who wanted to do an abortion with tablet Mifepristone. Will one dose of Mifepristone tablet help for my abortion? Please help.  Read Full »

Will Mifepristone and Misoprostol be effective if taken after 49 days of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee is 59 days pregnant. So we consulted a doctor for an abortion and she prescribed Mifepristone and Misoprostol for the abortion. But the doctor had told this method should be used before 49 days. So if these tablets are taken on the 59th day, how much effective it would be?  Read Full »

I took Mifepristone before 72 hours of unprotected sex. Is there still chance for me to get pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex before three days. Today it is almost 72 hours completed. I have taken Mifepristone 200 mg. Are there chances of pregnancy still?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pharmacologist Now