Q. In how many days of pregnancy can I opt medical abortion?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

I have missed my periods, but there are no symptoms of pregnancy. If get pregnant, within how many days of pregnancy can I opt medical abortion? What are the tests to be done before medical abortion? Please suggest.  

#

Medical termination can be carried out safely and effectively, up to 9 weeks. After nine weeks, you would need to go for a surgical evacuation.

This would require you to get an ultrasound scan to see from the gestational age of the baby and a hemoglobin of this patient to check for anemia as these procedures can result in severe bleeding.

However, if you have undergone for medical abortion, it would be best to do it under medical supervision as incorrect technique and dosage can result in severe side effects and even incomplete abortion.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynecologists online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is it totally safe? Please guide me.

#

• It is safe up to 9 weeks of pregnancy and the technique of taking the pills should be correct.
  • There are many regimens followed in taking the medicines. But, the correct regimen of taking these medicines is very important, or else severe bleeding and even incomplete abortion could happen.
  • Then, in that case despite taking medicines you would have to do the surgical evacuation as well. So, please follow instructions from a specialized doctor only.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|