Q. Can I die from a tooth infection?

Dr. Asma Parveen
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have an abscessed tooth. The tooth is almost gone. I will have to get surgically removed and do not have the money for it right now. I was wondering. Can I die from the infection? I have been on antibiotics from penicillin to amoxicillin to sulfur meth 800-160 mg. At about 1 AM, I felt the same pain I had before. But, it was just the one tooth and not my whole left side. It felt like it was trying to come out on its own again, then felt like a needle touched on what is left of the tooth. I yelled ouch. It tasted funny and weird. I touched the tooth and it was bleeding. I looked in the mirror and saw blood. I got really scared and asked my mom what I could do. She asked me to rinse my mouth with warm water. I did but I still taste that funny stuff. Should I go to the emergency room?

#

We are here to help you.

• After going through your complaint and looking at your X-ray, it sounds like a 'chronic periapical abscess' which is the presence of pus and infection in the affected tooth due to a cavity which is left untreated.
  • You cannot die due to an acute infection, but need to get it treated as early as possible to prevent further infection.
  • Since I have not seen the tooth clinically, I would request you to send a picture of the tooth as well. It can also be saved through a root canal treatment with post and core if some tooth structure is left clinically.
  • For the time being, I suggest you continue with the same medication for five days. Do warm saline rinses at least five to six times a day for a week. This will take care of the abscess.
  • Avoid any external heat application to prevent swelling. Do some ice pack application for half an hour daily.
  • And the funny taste which you mentioned is because of pus. In case the problem persists even after two days, then you need to visit your dentist for an extraction.

Hopefully, this helps. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|