Q. How can I fix the small gap in the bottom half of my front teeth?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Dec 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

I have braces on at the moment and my orthodontist says I can get them off in four to five months. I think it looks okay for the most part but the thing that bothers me is this small gap in the bottom half of my front teeth. I have asked my orthodontist about this and she said that it is just because the front teeth come together but not at the bottom half because of the shape of my teeth which is triangular as opposed to rectangular. She said she cannot do anything about it, but I am very unhappy with the way it looks when I talk, laugh, etc. I researched about this kind of gaps, but most people report having gaps between the top of the two front teeth and not in the bottom like me. Is there any treatment that could possibly bring the front teeth together fully or at least more than they are right now? I hope there is something I can do to make it less obvious.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

• Your orthodontist is correct.
  • The gaps at the bottom of the teeth are due to the shape of the teeth. Although very minor in your case, there are cases with much more apparent gaps.
  • The treatment for this is to get reshaping of your teeth done or by getting veneers.
  • Your orthodontist should discuss this with the restorative dentist in detail to adjust the ortho treatment as necessary.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

I have started to get space between teeth after orthodontic treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces on my teeth when I was 15 years old. Now I am 24 and I can see a lot of gaps developing between my teeth. Should I put on braces again or is there any alternative option that I should choose?  Read Full »

What can be done to correct malaligned upper teeth with gaps?

Query: Hi doctor,My upper teeth are slightly malaligned and have gaps in them. I visited the dentist. After X-ray, he said braces will be used by the jaws and will be visible after that up to 3 mm.  Read Full »

Does one need treatment for gap in front teeth?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a gap in front teeth may be it is diastema. Teeth are not fully separated apart starting from gum line like typical diastema. They have only slight gap below the gum line, may be less than an mm. I want to know:Whether this gap between the teeth require any kind of treatment othe...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now