Q. I feel pain in the epigastrium part of my stomach. Is it an acid reflux?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

I feel pain in the epigastrium part of my stomach mostly when I sleep or lay down. It happens only when I lay down at night or daytime.I have heartburn, constipation, gas, bloating in my stomach and I think it may be acid reflux. The interesting part is that all of this happens while lying down. I go to pee very frequently, and this frequent urination becomes worse at sleep time. If I stand up, all of this disappear.

#

Based on your description it looks like GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). Yes, sometimes it becomes chronic, and it is a very unpleasant feeling.

In chronic cases, esophageal sphincter may be incompetent too, which leads to acid reflux. Conservative therapy with antacids and diet is the first way of treatment.

I suggest you use Pantoprazole at morning and Maalox syrup after meals. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicines with consent.

• Avoid food at bedtime and also foods like caffeine, chocolate, spices, gas drinks. Use a pillow to raise your head more while sleeping.
  • I advise you to get an upper digestive tract endoscopy. It determines the cause of GERD, stomach and esophagus lesions.
  • If the traditional method fails, surgery is the final treatment with sphincter reinforcing.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|