Q. I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Aug 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I need your suggestion on which cream to use. I do not understand the concept of SPF 25, 30, 50 and 60.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

Sun protection factor or SPF blocks damaging UV rays, which are responsible for skin aging, darkening, sunburn, and malignancy.

I would advise you to use sunscreens that are a multi-spectrum or broad spectrum, which blocks both UV-A and UV-B rays.

Select Sunscreen according to SPF value. SPF number not less than 30 and not more than 50 will serve the purpose.

While going to play, you may apply a generous layer of SPF 50, and for the routine purpose, you may use SPF 30.

Do drink plenty of fluids and wear protective cotton clothing particularly light-colored clothes.

Take care. Have a nice and safe game.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

How can I prevent tanning?

Query: Hello doctor, I get tanned really easily. My skin is super sensitive. None of the sunscreens really helped me with this problem. If I am under the sun even for five minutes, I get super super tanned.  Read Full »

Is there any solution to make my face match my body color?

Query: Hello doctor,My face is so dark when compared to my body. I am a sports person so from my childhood I am exposed to sunlight a lot. Is there any solution to come back to my body color?  Read Full »

My face turns red when I am exposed to sunlight. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old male trying to achieve an overall good facial complexion. For a number of years now my skin seems to be a bit damaged and has a lot less color to it than the rest of my body. My face seems to have general redness to it which is accelerated in the winter. I wash my f...  Read Full »