Q. I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Aug 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I need your suggestion on which cream to use. I do not understand the concept of SPF 25, 30, 50 and 60.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

Sun protection factor or SPF blocks damaging UV rays, which are responsible for skin aging, darkening, sunburn, and malignancy.

I would advise you to use sunscreens that are a multi-spectrum or broad spectrum, which blocks both UV-A and UV-B rays.

Select Sunscreen according to SPF value. SPF number not less than 30 and not more than 50 will serve the purpose.

While going to play, you may apply a generous layer of SPF 50, and for the routine purpose, you may use SPF 30.

Do drink plenty of fluids and wear protective cotton clothing particularly light-colored clothes.

Take care. Have a nice and safe game.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How can I prevent tanning?

Query: Hello doctor, I get tanned really easily. My skin is super sensitive. None of the sunscreens really helped me with this problem. If I am under the sun even for five minutes, I get super super tanned.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Which sunscreen are you using and its SPF? Actually, sunscreens are of two types. Physical and chemical. Physical sunscreen is better in protecting from suns radiation but the problem is that they are not cosmetically acceptable. Because they are visibly seen on the face....  Read Full

Is there any solution to make my face match my body color?

Query: Hello doctor,My face is so dark when compared to my body. I am a sports person so from my childhood I am exposed to sunlight a lot. Is there any solution to come back to my body color?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You should use sunscreens with SPF 50 or more daily. Try to avoid sun exposure as possible. The creams used to increase skin color will do more harm than good. Melanin is the pigment which causes darkening. Its production increases on exposure...  Read Full

My face turns red when I am exposed to sunlight. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old male trying to achieve an overall good facial complexion. For a number of years now my skin seems to be a bit damaged and has a lot less color to it than the rest of my body. My face seems to have general redness to it which is accelerated in the winter. I wash my f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Right now, you are having photocontact dermatitis, which is redness of exposed skin parts on exposure to sunlight. This may be followed by hyperpigmentation and that is why you are observing different facial skin tones as compared to the rest of the bod...  Read Full