Q. Kindly help with a solution to prevent acne and scars.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

I have acne and acne marks on my cheeks for a year. Please help me to get clear skin. I am not taking medications currently. But I have tried using Clindamycin phosphate and Nicotinamide gel. It did not help me.

#

I understand your concern. Your statement and pictures suggest that you have acne and acne marks (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can try using Retino-A (Tretinoin) cream. Apply it to the affected area twice daily. Use Hydroquinone cream on the affected area twice daily in the evening and night. You can take tablet Minocin (Minocycline hydrochloride) 100 mg one tablet in the morning and night for 12 weeks. I hope that these medications will really help you to get subsided from acne and acne marks.

How long will it take to get healed completely?

#

It takes a time of two to three months to get healed completely. Take plenty of fluids regularly. Have a regular bowel movement. Take green leafy vegetables regularly to prevent constipation. Take proper sleep daily. Try to lead an anxiety-free life.

Can I use vitamin C serum after washing my face before applying moisturizer? What is the use of taking a tablet? I heard that after stopping the tablet, the acne can come back again. When should I need to apply Hydroquinone?

#

You can use a basic vitamin C serum after washing your face and before applying moisturizer. Minocycline is an antibiotic that helps to treat acne. It kills the acne-causing bacteria and reduces redness and inflammation. If it has not responded to any other medication, then Minocycline is a great treatment option for you. Acne can recur after stopping this medication. But it does not mean that it will recur in your case too. Proper use of acne medication and following proper measures helps to eradicate acne. Hydroquinone can be used in the evening and night. It should not be used in the daytime. Sunlight aggravates the lesion causing itching, irritation, and rashes. Retino-A Tretinoin cream can be used in the morning and afternoon. You can take tablet Minocycline twice daily at night. But it depends on you.

Will it help me to close my pores? They are open on my cheeks. Can I do exfoliation?

#

Minocycline helps to heal acne and it fills your pores. Do not be worried. I have given you better treatment options to get healed from acne and acne marks.

I am applying the prescribed creams for a few days now. My skin has become dry. Do I need to apply moisturizer? I am applying Retino-A in the morning after face wash and in the afternoon after washing my face with plain water. I am using Hydroquinone in the evening and night. Is it right? I am using it as a normal cream. I am unable to get Minocycline here.

#

Dryness in the skin occurs as a common side effect of these medications. You can have dryness due to the weather. It is common during the winter season. You should take plenty of water daily to prevent having dryness of the skin. You can apply moisturizer and observe carefully after applying it on the skin whether it aggravates pimples. If it aggravates, then stop using them immediately. Hydroquinone should be applied to the skin in the evening and night. When it is applied in the daytime, sunlight can aggravate the lesion causing itching, irritation, and redness on the skin. Before using the cream, please follow the guidelines given on it. You can take tablet Minoz 100 mg (Minocycline hydrochloride) one tablet in the night for three months. Your pimples can get aggravated after using this medication before getting cured or even after getting the full benefits of these medications.

I have a similar problem on the back for seven days. I have tried using Tretinoin cream 0.05% on it. But it did not help me. I have attached the photo. But it helped me when I used it last time. Can I use it again?

#

Tretinoin cream starts to work within two to three weeks. But it takes up to six weeks to have its full benefits. If you cannot see improvement within 12 weeks, then it is not working for you. Try to continue using it for this period of time. According to the picture, you are using a cream containing Clindamycin. It is used for skin and soft tissue infections like acne. Kindly take Minocycline and it helps you a lot. If you are willing to use topical Clindamycin, then you can use it. If the skin becomes dry and irritated after using Tretinoin cream, then you can try to use moisturizer. Try to use moisturizer first and then apply Tretinoin over it to avoid having irritation.

Do you think that these medicines are working? Does Minoz cause acne again after stopping it? I have attached the picture of my face and suggest whether I have any improvement.

#

As I told you already, your pimples can get aggravated after using these acne medications before getting cured or after getting full benefits from these medications. If you cannot have improvement within 12 weeks, then stop using it and consider that these medications are not working for you. Take plenty of fluids along with green leafy vegetables to prevent having dehydration and constipation. Have a good sleep regularly. Avoid having tension. Do not put your hands on your pimples. Avoid having masturbation. From my point of view, these are some best medicines that help to cure acne.

It has been three months now. My active acne lesions got reduced. But my face has some of it. I am using Retino-A in the morning or noon and Hydroquinone at night before going to sleep. I am taking Minoz 100 mg tablet every day. My back acne came back again. What is the remedy? I have attached the picture.

#

As advised already, you can use Retino-A Tretinoin cream twice daily and Hydroquinone cream twice daily in the evening and night. Continue taking the medications according to the dose. You seem to have some improvement in your pimples or acne. You can consult a dermatologist for any doubts.

|