Q. Kindly suggest a permanent solution for my recurrent acne on face.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

I have acne problem for the last few months. I am taking acne medicines also, but it recurs every time. Please see the pictures and suggest a solution. I do not have any health problems. Acne is not painful but is different from the usual pimples. I consulted a dermatologist but did not benefit. Please help.

#

I have reviewed the attached clinical photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is grade-3 acne. Have you considered oral Isotretinoin or Doxycycline in the past? What topical medications are you using? Is your age mentioned correctly? Are you 56 years old?

He is on Isotretinoin, and he is 28 years old.

#

Oral Isotretinoin is very good drug of choice for acne. In this case, if patients blood test for fasting lipid profile and liver function tests are normal then dose can be increased up to 30-40 mg per day. Capsule has to be taken at bed time.

Acne treatment is a long procedure. Yes, I do agree with any kind of oral or topical treatment acne tends to recur. There is no permanent cure. If patient has acne then he should consider continuing treatment because of improper treatment acne tends leave scars and scar marks need to be treated with laser.

No second option if patient does not wish to take oral treatment then procedure like salicylic acid peel can be considered which needs to be done every two weeks until acne subsides and then patient can be maintained on topical treatment further. He can apply a combination gel at present (Deriva-CMS Gel) at bed time over cheeks and continue with oral Isotretinoin. Or consider peel procedure, for which he will have to visit a dermatologist.

|