I am scheduled to have the two wisdom teeth on my right side extracted tomorrow. While waiting for the appointment, I developed pain in my right upper jaw which became increasingly worse over a few days. I went to see the dentist who found out I have an infection in my first molar (upper right) which is a tooth that has been root canal filled for about 20 years.
I started Penicillin for the infection but after three days with no improvement, I switched to Clindamycin 24 hours ago and I am still not sure if that is working either. My first question is, should I still have the wisdom teeth extracted as scheduled even in the presence of infection in that other tooth?
The dentist made it sound like it would not be a problem but I am very nervous especially since I am already in quite a bit of pain. The second question is: should I have that tooth retreated as she suggested or am I better off extracting it and getting an implant? Thank you in advance.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Penicillin and Clindamycin are the antibiotics and are usually prescribed for a course of five to seven days. These drugs reduce infection but not the pain. So, you might not notice a big change in how you feel. It is the painkiller which makes you feel that the drug has worked.
Answering to your first question, in my personal opinion I would treat the tooth which is painful at the moment and only then jump on to the wisdom teeth extraction. This is what is ethically right too. I would not want you to be extremely painful for so many reasons.
Coming to your second question, the treatment procedure for your upper right first molar totally depends on the X-ray. If it is ideal to retreat with root canal therapy (I mean an uncomplicated one) and the longevity is guaranteed, please go ahead.
Extraction followed by an implant is not a short procedure and cost-effective. So please discuss with your dentist regarding this in detail. I can also help you with this provided I see a picture of the tooth’s condition and the X-rays.
For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist
Was this answer helpful?|
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
Hello doctor, I had a wisdom tooth and an adjacent molar removed two days ago ... Read fullHow to treat the swelling due to infected tooth and sinus?
Hi doctor, I have got a decayed tooth at the upper backside region ... Read fullHow to manage the painful infected tooth?
I have a wisdom tooth on the upper jaw ... Before two days, the tooth directly below the wisdom tooth got broken, and it is causing pain ... You can do either root c... Read full
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Dentist Now