Q. Should I still have wisdom tooth extracted when another tooth is infected?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I am scheduled to have the two wisdom teeth on my right side extracted tomorrow. While waiting for the appointment, I developed pain in my right upper jaw which became increasingly worse over a few days. I went to see the dentist who found out I have an infection in my first molar (upper right) which is a tooth that has been root canal filled for about 20 years.

I started Penicillin for the infection but after three days with no improvement, I switched to Clindamycin 24 hours ago and I am still not sure if that is working either. My first question is, should I still have the wisdom teeth extracted as scheduled even in the presence of infection in that other tooth?

The dentist made it sound like it would not be a problem but I am very nervous especially since I am already in quite a bit of pain. The second question is: should I have that tooth retreated as she suggested or am I better off extracting it and getting an implant? Thank you in advance.

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Penicillin and Clindamycin are the antibiotics and are usually prescribed for a course of five to seven days. These drugs reduce infection but not the pain. So, you might not notice a big change in how you feel. It is the painkiller which makes you feel that the drug has worked.

Answering to your first question, in my personal opinion I would treat the tooth which is painful at the moment and only then jump on to the wisdom teeth extraction. This is what is ethically right too. I would not want you to be extremely painful for so many reasons.

Coming to your second question, the treatment procedure for your upper right first molar totally depends on the X-ray. If it is ideal to retreat with root canal therapy (I mean an uncomplicated one) and the longevity is guaranteed, please go ahead.

Extraction followed by an implant is not a short procedure and cost-effective. So please discuss with your dentist regarding this in detail. I can also help you with this provided I see a picture of the tooth’s condition and the X-rays.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|