Q. Kindly suggest treatment for acne.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Acne started getting bad on and off for the last 2 to 3 months, always had the occasional pimple but now it is all over my face. The dermatologist prescribed Doxycycline after Minocycline, it did not work. He also prescribed Sulfacleanse to use in the shower and Benzoyl Peroxide, Clindamycin mix, and Adapalene three gels. I found that all of that made my face worse so I used Sulfacleanse in the shower and after that, I used rose water toner alcohol-free, then hyaluronic serum then either tea tree oil, Adapalene or Benzoyl peroxide then Proactiv green tea moisturizer. I used that for a week and my face cleared up a bit then I went back to the dermatologist and he said not to use my stuff and only BP and Adapalene and that made my face break out again so I am back on my routine for three days now and noticed a bit of clearing up. I eat very healthily and I am also using supplements.

Do you have a question on Acne or Clindamycin?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Payal Chauhan

MBBS., MD
Dermatology Venereology

I understand your concern. You have grade 2 acne vulgaris and definitely, need oral antibiotics. The thing with anti-acne medications particularly retinoids like Adapalene is that initially, you might feel that acne is flaring and people stop them. But in time they get better. Use the following medications: Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg three consecutive days per week for four weeks. Adapalene plus Benzoyl Peroxide gel apply once at night on acne and wash after one hour and do not rub it. Benzoyl Peroxide face wash continue using the moisturizer in the morning review after one month.

Besides medicines, you can do certain other things like changes in diet, which can help in curing acne. Avoid foods with high glycemic index particularly milk has been found to be associated with increased severity of ane. Also, avoid chocolates and sweets if possible. Avoid picking and scratching the lesions as it increases the chances of scarring and pigmentation.

Acne medications need to be used at least for 8 to 12 weeks to see good results. So, be patient. Take care.

I am using Doxycycline 120 mg once at night right now because I used Minocycline for over a month and it did not work. I have Benzoyl peroxide and also Adapalene that was prescribed by the dermatologist. When I use it, it dries out my face and causes it to break out more so that is why I bought Thayer's witch Hazel, pure Hyaluronic acid serum and the moisturizer to keep my face from drying out.

Can you tell me what exactly I need to do in the morning and at the night regarding the application of each product, what to use and what not to use and what is causing me to break out. I do not eat dairy and I also eat tons of fruit and vegetables and take supplements good for the skin. I do not eat sweets or anything either.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

MBBS., MD
Dermatology Venereology

You are using a lot of products. Besides moisturizer that too a noncomedogenic one and sunscreen as Adapalene can cause a bit of photosensitivity, I do not recommend using anything else. I see that you have Adapalene as well as a combination of Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide as well. Use Adapalene at night only on the lesions without rubbing it, just touch and wash after one hour. It will minimize the dryness but will remain effective.

Use Clindamycin plus Benzoyl peroxide in the morning, again wash after one hour as advised. Then you can use your moisturizer only if you see too much dryness. And you can continue taking Doxycycline if you have just started it. The thing to remember is that you also need to use a sunscreen in the morning after moisturizer application as both Adapalene and Doxycycline increase photosensitivity.

Also Read Answers From: Acne Clindamycin Benzoyl Peroxide

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.
Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne.  Read Article »
Dr. Kakkar S

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict ...  Read Article >>
I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years.Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from body acne since 10 years. It is present on my upper arms, shoulders, back and buttocks. I have been using Benzoyl peroxide 5% since 6 months. But there has been no effect at all.  Read Full >>
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Benzoyl peroxide alone is not going to work. Please send the photographs of the affected area to find out the grade of acne and to prescribe you the proper treatment. Revert back with the pictures to a dermatologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq....  Read Full

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy
Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure.  Read Article »
Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit ...  Read Article >>

Ask a Doctor Now