Q. Please give your opinion regarding my acne prescription.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2020

For the last four months, I started getting acne in the form of pustules, papules and small nodules. My dermatologist prescribed Isotretinoin 20 mg on alternate days, but rather than improvement my acne is getting worse. She also prescribed antibiotic Sepmax-DS (800 mg) that is a combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim for 10 days. Today is the second day of medicine and I am feeling extreme drowsy, itching, fatigue and tiredness. Please provide a second opinion whether to go with these both prescribed medicines or not.

#

• You should continue with Isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is a wonderful drug, but it takes around 40 days to show its effect.
  • With Isotretinoin, you may even feel flare up of your acne, which is normal and it should be continued.
  • I cannot comment upon the usefulness of Septran as it is not a standard regimen in acne.
  • Drowsiness is not an adverse effect of either of this medication. Maybe you have been added an anti-allergic along with, which is causing this.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am also getting a lot of hair fall since I have started using Isotretinoin. Please let me know whether to discontinue it as I am losing my hair. How long I should take this drug? After completing the course, will my acne come back? Is it really necessary to take antibiotics for acne? If yes, then what could be the alternate to Septran? My dermatologist also suggested to go for chemical peels. Please tell me whether peels are really helpful. I am also having blackheads and whiteheads. Does peel help in removing that? When can I start taking peels? She suggested me a Ferulic acid peel. Since I have never undergone peeling, I am really scared of burnout caused during peeling. Also, after three sitting of chemical peels she advised to go for fractional laser for removal of scars. Does fractional laser really help? Can I go for laser while being on Isotretinoin? I have attached my pictures for your reference.

#

As I can see from the photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have mild to moderate acne.

• Yes, hair fall is the side effect of Isotretinoin. Hair, which is lost, will come back once Isotretinoin is stopped. So, it is not an absolute indication for stopping Isotretinoin.
  • Antibiotics are an important component in acne treatment. However, I would have omitted Septran in my patient with these lesions. You may stop Septran while you continue with Isotretinoin as you are experiencing certain adverse effects.
  • Chemical peels are helpful in acne, which is resistant to medication. They are also useful when quick response is required as oral and local medicine takes longer time. Peels are very safe if done by an experienced dermatologist.
  • Yes, fractional laser is helpful in removing acne scars like ice pick scars. You can go for fraser while being on Isotretinoin.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have also got some red marks as you could see in the pictures that are left behind by acne. Does fractional will help in subsiding that? If not, then what could be the best treatment for such red marks? Because of this, I am losing my confidence. Does peel help in getting rid of those red marks? For how long should I take Isotretinoin?

#

• Do not worry. All the medicine you are taking for acne will decrease the red marks.
  • Continue Isotretinoin for two months and then you can follow up. Flare up is seen only in the initial four to six weeks post Isotretinoin treatment.

|