What could be the reason for the rough and rash-like acnes on my face?

Q. What might be causing the rough, rash-like acne in an individual?

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2023

I am a female with a weight of 132 pounds and I have acne problems. They appear like rashes on my face, and it feels rough when touched. You cannot notice it at a distance, but when you come closer, you can see the rashes-like acne on my face. What to do? Please help.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern. As per the history provided, it may be acne vulgaris grade 1. Acne occurs due to multiple factors, including hormonal imbalances, climate changes, dietary modifications, genetic factors, cosmetic products, and gynecological conditions like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome or disease). PCOS commonly presents with menstrual irregularities, but sometimes the menstrual cycle can also be regular. To rule out PCOS and in case of menstrual irregularities, I suggest you to consult a gynecologist in person. For the time being, kindly follow the instructions mentioned below for managing acne. Use Salicylic acid 2 % and Glycolic acid foam face wash (AHA glow S foaming face wash). Apply twice daily, massage gently in a circular motion for one minute, and wash it off. Use Peroclin gel 2.5 % (Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide) regularly in the morning and evening after washing with a face wash for two months. Apply them only to the acne lesions. Certain procedures like Glycolic acid chemical peels and laser for skin rejuvenation via mild peeling can be done in alternate sessions every two weeks to one month. This will help reduce acne faster. However, they are usually done by a professional. Therefore, I suggest you consult a dermatologist to undergo these procedures in person. Take a chewable tablet of Ascorbic acid (antioxidants) 500 mg after eating twice daily for two months. Avoid sweets, oily and fried food, milk and dairy products, and red meat. Consume more fruits and vegetables, and adequate water intake is advised. Visiting a gynecologist is recommended to rule out PCOS as, without eliminating the root cause, the management of acne may be time-consuming. Acne may be on and off depending on hormonal changes, climate, and dietary changes. External factors like diet can be managed; however, internal hormonal factors may be challenging to control. Therefore, management of acne may have to be done frequently till the acne lesions decrease, for which consistency is the key. Kindly consult a specialist, talk with them and take the medications with their consent. I hope this has helped you. Take care.

|