Q. What are the chances of re-tearing of acromioclavicular joint after surgery using cadaver tendon?

Dr. Medhun Kumar

How likely is it to re-tear (or re-separate) the acromioclavicular joint after surgery was performed on it with a cadaver tendon? It has been a year and a half post surgery. He was lifting 50 lbs overhead, wind pushed equipment back, causing loud popping in left shoulder (previously had surgery). Shoulder is now presenting with swelling, no mobility and pain.I want to know the likelihood of acromioclavicular joint getting separated again.

Dr. Medhun Kumar

General Practitioner General Surgery
#

There is a high likely chance since you are symptomatic (pain and swelling). Subjecting to vigorous exercise and history of previous surgery adds to the suspicion. It is better you get evaluated and treated earlier.

Though cadaver tendons are stronger and it is been 1.5 years. It can never equate your original strength. First get your pain and swelling down with analgesics and get an X-ray. If no bony injury and pain persisting, get an MRI done.

X-ray followed by MRI shoulder if needed.

Acromino-clavicular joint dislocation.

Analgesics and anti-inflammatory followed by evaluation.

|