Ligament Tear

Should I get autograft or allograft for AC joint surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my AC joint separated while mountain biking. It is grade 5. I am getting surgery and I want to know whether I should use an autograft (hamstring) or allograft from a cadaver. I am very active in outdoor adventures and sports. Thanks for your help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Goel

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your injury. The good news is that there are many modalities available for AC joint injuries (acromioclavicular joint), which are showing promising results. Type five injuries constitute tears of the two important ligaments in the shoulder regions...  Read Full »

Will there be re-tearing of acromioclavicular joint after surgery using cadaver tendon?

Query: Hello doctor, How likely is it to re-tear (or re-separate) the acromioclavicular joint after surgery was performed on it with a cadaver tendon? It has been a year and a half post surgery. He was lifting 50 lbs overhead, wind pushed equipment back, causing loud popping in left shoulder (previously ...  Read Full »

Dr. Medhun Kumar

General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a high likely chance since you are symptomatic (pain and swelling). Subjecting to vigorous exercise and history of previous surgery adds to the suspicion. It is better you get evaluated and treated earlier. Though cadaver tendons are stronger and it is been 1....  Read Full »

Can I do pull ups again in my life after acromioclavicular joint separation?

Query: Hello doctor, I just had my acromioclavicular joint separation (grade 2 or 3), AC ligament torn. I am ready to accept the recovery time. My question is can I do pull ups again in my life? Or any permanent disability may occur?  Read Full »

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sure the X-ray looks kind of AC joint separation due to the ligament injury. With the image, the injury looks between grade II or III. I will advise you to take the call for the MRI shoulder to focus on the AC joint. This will help us understand the extent of the lig...  Read Full »

Why do I have acute pain in my right knee?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acute pain on the right side of my right knee. I am not able to walk as usual. The local doctor diagnosed it as a ligament tear. He suggested to take rest and wear a knee pad. One month is over, and there is no improvement seen yet. There is also little swelling and pain. I am n...  Read Full »

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned your age, profession, and how you developed the pain (like after a slip or after a fall or just by itself). When you have a limp that has not settled over one month and you do not have balance when you walk then it is not normal. You have to be p...  Read Full »

There is swelling even a week after a ligament tear. Should I go to the ER?

Query: Hello doctor, I tore my MCL last week and the ER doctor told me to stay off of it for at least three days. I did so, starting to use it three days later for about three hours. The swelling my foot has encountered since then has been extreme. If I elevate and do not use it for four to six hours, the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In general, an MCL (medial collateral ligament) tear, even it was small, requires at least one to two months of rest if you do not bear any weight on the injured leg. If the injury was small, it heals without any requirement for surgery. If the tear was large enough to...  Read Full »

Is it a must to operate type 2 ligament tear?

Query: Hi doctor, I got an accident before a month. I got a right knee ACL ligament type 2 tear. Is it possible for the type 2 ligament to get cured by itself without operation and if so, how many days does it take to heal?  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tears will not heal on its own as they are inside the joint. To bring the ends together, you need surgery, but even that too is not successful. It is the reason for doing ACL reconstruction. It is not recommended for everyone. Only if yo...  Read Full »

How can I manage constant pain in the right knee?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old male. I had a sudden onset pain in the right knee after a twist during cleaning the house. Initially, it was diagnosed as ligament tear but later no tear was detected on repeated MRI. The pain is not resolving with Methotrexate 20 mg, Prednisolone 10 mg, Etoricoxib 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivasa Chennareddy

Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send the MRI reports of the knee. May I know who diagnosed the tear on MRI? For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician  Read Full »

Can my twisted knee cause any ligament or meniscus tear?

Query: Hello doctor, I was playing football yesterday, and as I stretched for the ball, my right leg which was in the air got caught at the end of my foot causing my foot to go outwards and my knee to twist. I continued to play, but my knee felt unstable, and I could sometimes feel a sharp pain on the in...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Sunil Shah

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know if there was a swelling around the knee joint and was there any click sound while twisting your knee? I would recommend you to give complete rest to your knee and do ice pack three to four times a day for 15 to 20 minutes each time and see if you f...  Read Full »

Please comment if my RTA injury is a permanent one.

Query: Hello doctor, I had an injury in an automobile accident. Please address if this is a permanent injury. I have an MRI and medical examination. Since the accident, I can no longer sleep on the left side or use the left arm under normal conditions without pain.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all the six attachments including the MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The MRI showed the presence of a partial thickness tear high-grade or tendonitis. This normally results in a painful elevation of the shoulder above...  Read Full »

My shoulder dislocated while dancing, but went back right in and now it is numb. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 9 inches, and I weigh 130 lbs. I am a professional dancer. I dislocated my left shoulder while dancing. I had to make a move that involved throwing the arms out and across the body to the right side sharply and quickly. It popped ou...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you described was a dislocation of the shoulder joint and a reduction on its own. When the relocation of this forearm head in the joint cavity does not happen on its own, we try to reduce it again in the joint cavity with some maneuvering, and immobilize it with ...  Read Full »