Q. There is swelling even a week after a ligament tear. Should I go to the ER?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on May 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I tore my MCL last week and the ER doctor told me to stay off of it for at least three days. I did so, starting to use it three days later for about three hours. The swelling my foot has encountered since then has been extreme. If I elevate and do not use it for four to six hours, the swelling recedes, but if I use it at all, my foot and ankle puff back up. I have been elevating it, icing it, and trying to stay off of it. What should I do? Should I go back to the ER?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

• In general, an MCL (medial collateral ligament) tear, even it was small, requires at least one to two months of rest if you do not bear any weight on the injured leg.
  • If the injury was small, it heals without any requirement for surgery.
  • If the tear was large enough to cause pain and a delay in healing, it will require a surgical correction.
  • diet rich in protein will help you heal faster.
  • Until then, I suggest taking tablet Diclofenac twice daily for five days and tablet Chymoral forte (Trypsin and Chymotrypsin) twice daily for five days for the swelling.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. Give me a diet suggestion

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. What should I do? Shall I take any medicine or any diet suggestions? Age 23, male, weight 59kg, height - 179cm.  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

No improvement in pain seven weeks after fall. Does it indicate it is not healing?

Query: Hello doctor, I fell over seven weeks ago at a running competition (at the end of a race), and had subsequent knee pain, swelling and difficulty walking. I then proceeded to have an X-ray which ruled out any fractures and then an MRI which showed a partial PCL tear. I have been having physiotherapy...  Read Full »