Q. I am HLA-B27 patient. Is there any side effects on taking Adalimumab injections?

I am a 26-year-old male. I am HLA-B27 positive (hereditary issue). I am suffering from joint pains since the last 16 years, I generally use Ultracet to suppress the pain. I have undergone a resurfacing surgery before nine years. Since then I have not taken any treatment.

I have visited a rheumatologist recently due to back pain, he had advised me to take Adalimumab injection for six months (once in 15 days). However, I am a little worried about the side effects, as my immunity is not so great. TB test is done, and the results are favorable.

Both my father and his brother had joint pains and both of them passed away due to kidney issues, so I always test myself for high creatinine frequently, fortunately so far everything is under control. So,

1. Is there any chance that Adalimumab injection might trigger a kidney ailment.

2. Can I go ahead to take the treatment ignoring the side effects? Please advice.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

You need to understand that every medicine has its side effects and it is not that everyone gets it. Important is treatment. Since your disease may get worse with the passing years, Adalimumab injections would help you in controlling your disease. It rarely affects the kidneys and that too in people with already worsening kidney functions.

Since you have been checked for tuberculosis and it is not there, so that part is also clear.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

|