Q. I am HLA-B27 patient. Is there any side effects on taking Adalimumab injections?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 21, 2019

I am a 26-year-old male. I am HLA-B27 positive (hereditary issue). I am suffering from joint pains since the last 16 years, I generally use Ultracet to suppress the pain. I have undergone a resurfacing surgery before nine years. Since then I have not taken any treatment.

I have visited a rheumatologist recently due to back pain, he had advised me to take Adalimumab injection for six months (once in 15 days). However, I am a little worried about the side effects, as my immunity is not so great. TB test is done, and the results are favorable.

Both my father and his brother had joint pains and both of them passed away due to kidney issues, so I always test myself for high creatinine frequently, fortunately so far everything is under control. So,

1. Is there any chance that Adalimumab injection might trigger a kidney ailment.

2. Can I go ahead to take the treatment ignoring the side effects? Please advice.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

You need to understand that every medicine has its side effects and it is not that everyone gets it. Important is treatment. Since your disease may get worse with the passing years, Adalimumab injections would help you in controlling your disease. It rarely affects the kidneys and that too in people with already worsening kidney functions.

Since you have been checked for tuberculosis and it is not there, so that part is also clear.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

What does stress have to do with Crohn's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease. Two years back, I was fine. I had gone through extreme stress early that year and after that, I had a flare-up. I lost 9 kg in a month. Then, the doctors detected ulcers in my ileum I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was out of work for 14 months. Assuming that it...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vadivel Kumaran S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a very good treatment response to Adalimumab. You are on top-down therapy. Usually, flares are due to non-compliance with medications, secondary infections or malignant transformation. Usually, stress does not cause flare-ups. You may be switched back to Pent...  Read Full

Can HLA B27 positve male with ankylosing spondylitis affect his children?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years, I had a hip resurfacing surgery eight years back. I am an HLA B27 positive, even my father is also positive. I have joint pain since last fourteen years. Now, I wish to know that, if I marry and have children will this pass on to them? What measures should I take to ens...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. About 80 % of people with ankylosing spondylitis have HLA B27 positive and only 1 to 4 % people with positive HLA B27 develop ankylosing spondylitis. That means out of 100 people with positive HLA B27 only one to four can develop ankylosing spondylitis and 96 to 99 a...  Read Full

What can be done to slow the disease progression in ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis from two years. Can you please tell me whether there are chances to slow the disease progression and how?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are four modes of therapy for ankylosing spondylitis. NSAID group. Steroid. Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs such as Methotrexate. TNF blocker like Adalimumab. Physiotherapy also should be done. Avoid smoking. Maintain good posture. If inf...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now