Q. Can HLA B27 positve male with ankylosing spondylitis affect his children?

I am 26 years, I had a hip resurfacing surgery eight years back. I am an HLA B27 positive, even my father is also positive. I have joint pain since last fourteen years. Now, I wish to know that, if I marry and have children will this pass on to them? What measures should I take to ensure that it does not pass on to the next generation? I am at crossroads, I need to take a decision based on the reply. Please give me the solution.

#

About 80 % of people with ankylosing spondylitis have HLA B27 positive and only 1 to 4 % people with positive HLA B27 develop ankylosing spondylitis. That means out of 100 people with positive HLA B27 only one to four can develop ankylosing spondylitis and 96 to 99 are normal.

The chances of your children to have positive HLA B27 is about 10 %. Now I do not think you should worry about your kids having ankylosing spondylitis or HLA B27.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

I have been diagnosed with HLA B27 and ankylosing spondylitis. Even my father also has the same condition. And that 10 % is the additional risk compared to normal parent right?

#

Yes, the chances of your kids having ankylosing spondylitis is 10 % each.

|