Q. Will banging head against wall lead to ADHD?

Dr. Srinivas Gunda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

I am not living together with my husband and we have a six year old boy. My child is living with my husband only. He used to meet me for some time and tell all the information what he had done. Before four years, when he was 2 years old, he said that, my husband banged my son's head five to six times on the wall and made his nose bleeding. Now, we got to know that my son has ADHD. Now, what should I do to know whether my son is fine or not?

Dr. Srinivas Gunda

Child Health Paediatrics
#

First of all, let me tell you that you are doing a great job managing a kid with ADHD along with some family issues what you had mentioned.

• Regarding the head banging episode, which you had mentioned is two years back when he was around two years old.
  • A two year old kid remembering the episode correctly is not very likely, but can also be true since it would have been very traumatic to him.
  • Coming to the severity of the injury if at all it happened, the face was banged or the nose was injured that can cause bleeding.
  • The head banging alone causing nose bleeding indicates some severe injury which might not be the case here since there was no immediate problem apart from the nose bleed after the episode at that time.
  • To rule out any internal injury only a head scan can reveal. You need to meet your pediatrician once and brief the episode and based on his clinical examination if he or she finds any neurological deficit and a head scan can be planned.
  • ADHD can happen as a sequel of a bad head injury, which is unlikely since there were no immediate problems after the head banging episode.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Clinical examination by a pediatrician.

|