Q. I have abdominal pain, and my reports show a mass on the right adrenal gland. Is it serious?

Dr. Thiyagarajan T
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am having pain in the abdominal region. I got a checkup and test done near my area. I am attaching reports for the same. Kindly have a look and let me know what exactly is the reason and is it serious? What are the next steps I should take for the cure? Kindly give your opinion.

#

From the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you seem to have a mass in the right adrenal gland. The appearance of it looks benign (not cancer), but I say this from the report and the images I could see with very little clarity.

The pain may be due to this mass. It does not look serious from the appearance, but since it is causing you pain and is large, you may need surgery.

Although it is probably a benign tumor, you will need certain blood tests to confirm.

Also, it seems like your doctor is planning for a biopsy. Do the hormonal blood tests before biopsy (to make sure you do not have a condition called pheochromocytoma, which you probably do not have).

Also, if this is causing you pain and since the size is more than 6 cm and may also be pushing on your liver, you can go directly for surgery after the hormone blood tests, without a biopsy.

You also have fatty liver. Do you drink alcohol? If yes, please quit. You should lose weight if the fatty liver is due to overweight or obesity.

I hope this was helpful.

Is it necessary to go for surgery, or can it be cured by medication? Is the condition severe? What is the immediate action and steps I should take? Kindly guide me.

#

Since the size of the mass is 6 cm and you have abdominal pain, and the mass may be touching your liver. I think you need surgery. It cannot be cured by medications.

If the size is smaller and not causing any symptoms and hormone tests are normal, one can wait without surgery and repeat a scan in three months, but I would not recommend that for you.

The condition is not severe. Like I told you, it appears as a benign mass.

Do the hormonal tests, importantly the plasma metanephrines or 24 hours urine metanephrines, and then see the surgery doctor.

I hope this was helpful.

|