Q. I have abdominal pain, and my reports show a mass on the right adrenal gland. Is it serious?

Answered by
Dr. Thiyagarajan T
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 19, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am having pain in the abdominal region. I got a checkup and test done near my area. I am attaching reports for the same. Kindly have a look and let me know what exactly is the reason and is it serious? What are the next steps I should take for the cure? Kindly give your opinion.



Welcome to

From the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you seem to have a mass in the right adrenal gland. The appearance of it looks benign (not cancer), but I say this from the report and the images I could see with very little clarity.

The pain may be due to this mass. It does not look serious from the appearance, but since it is causing you pain and is large, you may need surgery.

Although it is probably a benign tumor, you will need certain blood tests to confirm.

Also, it seems like your doctor is planning for a biopsy. Do the hormonal blood tests before biopsy (to make sure you do not have a condition called pheochromocytoma, which you probably do not have).

Also, if this is causing you pain and since the size is more than 6 cm and may also be pushing on your liver, you can go directly for surgery after the hormone blood tests, without a biopsy.

You also have fatty liver. Do you drink alcohol? If yes, please quit. You should lose weight if the fatty liver is due to overweight or obesity.

I hope this was helpful.

Hi doctor,

Thank you.

Is it necessary to go for surgery, or can it be cured by medication? Is the condition severe? What is the immediate action and steps I should take? Kindly guide me.



Welcome back to

Since the size of the mass is 6 cm and you have abdominal pain, and the mass may be touching your liver. I think you need surgery. It cannot be cured by medications.

If the size is smaller and not causing any symptoms and hormone tests are normal, one can wait without surgery and repeat a scan in three months, but I would not recommend that for you.

The condition is not severe. Like I told you, it appears as a benign mass.

Do the hormonal tests, importantly the plasma metanephrines or 24 hours urine metanephrines, and then see the surgery doctor.

I hope this was helpful.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control

.. responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also called as Epinephrine .. ...   Read full

I had fatty liver.Do I have chances of developing cirrhosis?

.. have read through your query and attachments in detail. (attachments removed to protect patient identity) Please find my observations below. Having gone through your reports in detail, cirrhosis is unlikely as your most recent ultrasound done on...   Read full

I have fatty liver. Can I take various other medicines with antibiotic?

.. for providing the details in your history. My question is that, is it the first time that the liver fatty infiltration has been discovered? Did you have had a test called FIBROSURE or liver MRI/ biopsy? Cipro is relatively safe with liver disease...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.