Q. What are the physical changes that come with aging?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

My mother is around 60 years but she looks older than her age. The skin of her face and body is shrinking very fast. And, she feels sleepy whenever she sits up for a long period of ten minutes or more. Please help.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner

At her age, cellular aging can speed up depending on her overall health. If she has any underlying chronic disease or if she has a deficiency of essential minerals and micronutrients, all these can speed up the aging process.

However at her age, fatigue or excessive tiredness judging from the fact that she falls asleep frequently, must be evaluated thoroughly. Please provide more details as to whether she has any disease or chronic conditions. Also, let me know if she can sleep at night or if there is any recent history of weight loss, etc.

If yes then thorough investigation is needed to rule out any underlying pathology. Please give me more details and get the following investigations done primarily.

1. Full blood count with ESR (erythrocyte-sedimentation rate).
  2. Serum urea and creatinine.
  3. Serum ALT (alanine transaminase).

Revert with more information to a family physician online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

How to know if someone is depressed?

Query: Hi doctor, How do you decide if someone has depression or any other mental disease? How to differentiate it from mental retardation? Can it be the reason that he or she does not find anything interesting or exciting enough?  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depression is basically an affective disorder affecting the emotional tone of an individual. Along with this, it also causes impairment of cognition and other higher mental functions. It is important to identify depression as early as possible so that effective measu...  Read Full

Do I have sinus bradycardia based on the reports?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 57 years old female. I am doing my annual health check-up for last three years. Below are some variation in my report this year, with respect to normal range. Could you please share your advice regarding this:E.C.G - Sinus Bradycardia (except this normal study. Same is there in the re...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are fine. Even heart issue of sinus bradycardia appears to be fine. This is likely an age related change and slowing of the heart rate. I guess you do not have any symptoms o...  Read Full

Does Vitamin Deficiency Cause Premature Ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor,I did a test. I got my results that my erection transmitter is 2.99, testosterone is 4.459. vitamins E, K, and C are also slightly low. Could this be the reason I have premature ejaculation? At times, I also have a weak erection after one ejaculation. What should I take to treat these? Tha...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The premature ejaculation occurs due to anxiety and hyperexcitation in most individuals. Altered testosterone levels are not the cause of early discharge. If you have the problem of premature ejaculation, then drugs like Dapoxetine can be used to delay the ejaculati...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now