Q. I am not able to sleep well due to financial stress. Please help.

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Jul 31, 2017

I am in financial distress, so I am not able to concentrate on work or family. I am not able to sleep well. Please help.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• As per your description, though it is difficult to conclude, it seems that you might be having a depressive episode secondary to your financial stress, as you reported difficulty in concentrating along with a reduced sleep.
  • Depressive episodes can be either endogenous without any apparent reason, or it can be secondary to a stressful situation. Depressive episodes are characterized by the following:
  1. Low mood, which is persistent and pervasive.
  2. Low energy level associated with easy fatiguability.
  3. Loss of interest in routine and pleasurable activities.
  4. Difficulty to in concentrating with easy forgetfulness about daily activities.
  5. Lack of confidence with low self-esteem.
  6. Pessimistic views about self or family or future.
  7. Reduced interaction level with family and friends.
  8. Reduced sleep, difficulty in falling asleep, reduced total duration of sleep, frequent awakenings, and early morning awakening with feeling sleep deprived after getting up.
  9. Loss of libido and reduced appetite, which may be associated with apparent weight loss.
  10. Self-harming acts may be present.
  • All or most of these symptoms if present for 14 or more days and associated with distress and dysfunction for one, then it is definitive that the person has a depressive episode.
  • If you found these symptoms in you, then I would advise you to seek treatment from a psychiatrist as early as possible rather than waiting it to improve on its own. If diagnosed and treated early, complete recovery can be achieved with less dysfunction or else if left untreated, it will add to morbidity in one's life.

If you feel like, you can consult directly for further assistance. Thank you.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Is there a permanent solution for repeated depressive episodes?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 32 years old and he got his first depressive episode five years back due to business stress. After that he is undergoing depressive episodes every year. He becomes fine after taking anti-depressants and does all his work normally. But again after few days depression repe...  Read Full »

How to overcome the feeling of hopelessness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55-year-old man. I have been suffering from depression for the last five months. I have been feeling tired and hopeless. I want your help for recovery. I am currently on Fluvoxin 50 mg BD.  Read Full »

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »