Q. Why does the microalbuminuria value fluctuate?

I am a diabetic. My microalbumin rates are fluctuating. When I was first diagnosed it is around 200 for the first time, 118 for the second time, 40 for the third time, 120 for the fourth time and 27 for the fifth time.

Why these are values are varying? Can you suggest the best time to give urine sample for microalbuminuria spot test? I am using Rosuvastatin 20 mg and for diabetes Istamet 500 mg in the morning and Gluformin 500 mg at night. My FBS is 118 and PPBS 137 mg/dL. I am very much worried about the problem and I am not getting proper sleep due to this tension.

#

See, it can vary from laboratory to laboratory. Moreover, timings do not affect it as it is a spot sample. Since your report is persistently declining it is a good thing. A rising level of microalbumin is of a problem and this might needs an evaluation.

In your case, it is reducing and it is good. I would recommend you to keep your blood sugar and blood pressure under well control and there is nothing to worry about.

But it shows rise from third to fourth time. Is it only due to lab values and sugar levels? Can I completely reverse the problem and when I stop Rosuvastatin?

#

As I said it can vary. I would be in a better state to answer if you can send me a scanned copy of all your reports.

As far as Rosuvastatin is concerned, why do you want to stop it? It is a wonderful drug and helps you prevent any atherosclerosis as well as any cardiac event.

I have uploaded all the reports including prescription. I am 35 years old, if I start the medicine from now does it have any side effects for the long run?

#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

There is significant microalbuminuria in your reports. In early stages, it can vary as discussed previously. I would recommend you to discuss with your doctor to add up a low dose ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor like Ramipril to you for this purpose. This is going to help you better in control of microalbuminuria. Strict blood sugar control is warranted.

If you have any further queries please ask me.

|