Q. In nephrotic syndrome, protein leaks from the larger filter of kidney. Is it true?

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2019

Hi doctor,

I heard that in nephrotic syndrome the filtering unit of kidney becomes larger and so protein comes in urine. I am a patient of cortisone dependent nephrotic syndrome over 15 years. Doctor says that about 95 percent of children will get cured at the age of 18. I am 17 years old now. When a child grows, does the filtering unit become smaller? And what happens to the remaining 5 percent? I have anemia, but otherwise normal. Only albumin comes in urine. I also heard that kidney biopsy is done for nephrotic syndrome. But no doctor advised me for biopsy. Do I have minimal change disease?

#

Hi,

Welcome to icliniq.com.

Yes, you have heard the things right. Due to increased pore there is protein in urine. The best treatment remains the Cortisone. In cases where there is no response to Cortisone as evidenced by persistence of albumin in urine, we need to shift those patients on Cyclophosphamide and Azathioprine.

Renal biopsy can be performed but since you are on steroids the reports may be altered. You need to get C3 (complement component 3), C4 (complement component 4), ANA (antinuclear antibody), ANCA (antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody) and urine protein to creatinine ratio.

Thank you doctor,

What is C3, C4, ANA, ANCA? Is there any problem with creatinine? Only albumin present in urine. Is urine protein to creatinine ratio necessary?

#

Hi,

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

These tests we perform to rule out any evidence of autoimmune kidney dysfunction, which can cause such issues. Most common reason is idiopathic nephrotic syndrome, but we call idiopathic only when we are sure there are no other causes.

Rise in serum creatinine does not occur in nephrotic syndrome commonly. We need urine protein to creatinine ratio, in order to monitor the albuminuria as a guide to the diagnosis. I would recommend in such case, to get either 24-hour urine protein or protein to creatinine ratio.


Was this answer helpful?

 | 

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!



Related Questions:
In nephrotic syndrome, protein leaks from the larger filter of kidney. Is it true?

.. have heard the things right. Due to increased pore there is protein in urine. The best treatment remains the Cortisone. In cases where there is no response to Cortisone as evidenced by persistence of albumin in urine, we need to shift those patien...   Read full

Taking Azoran for myasthenia gravis. Will it cause any side effect?

.. here to help you. See, there are no definitive criteria to stop Azoran (Azathioprine). Usually, if thymus is removed and patient is asymptomatic then your doctor may taper and stop Azoran. However in case one gets a repeat episode then he would ne...   Read full

Prednisolone is the only solution for my rectal bleeding. How long can I take it?

.. suggests that you have steroid-dependent ulcerative colitis. So you rightly started Azathioprine and I think it should work if you are taking a proper dose (you have not shared dose of Azoran and your body weight). You can take Azoran as 1.5-2.5 m...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read


Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nephrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.