Q. In nephrotic syndrome, protein leaks from the larger filter of kidney. Is it true?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2019

I heard that in nephrotic syndrome the filtering unit of kidney becomes larger and so protein comes in urine. I am a patient of cortisone dependent nephrotic syndrome over 15 years. Doctor says that about 95 percent of children will get cured at the age of 18. I am 17 years old now. When a child grows, does the filtering unit become smaller? And what happens to the remaining 5 percent? I have anemia, but otherwise normal. Only albumin comes in urine. I also heard that kidney biopsy is done for nephrotic syndrome. But no doctor advised me for biopsy. Do I have minimal change disease?

#

Yes, you have heard the things right. Due to increased pore there is protein in urine. The best treatment remains the Cortisone. In cases where there is no response to Cortisone as evidenced by persistence of albumin in urine, we need to shift those patients on Cyclophosphamide and Azathioprine.

Renal biopsy can be performed but since you are on steroids the reports may be altered. You need to get C3 (complement component 3), C4 (complement component 4), ANA (antinuclear antibody), ANCA (antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody) and urine protein to creatinine ratio.

What is C3, C4, ANA, ANCA? Is there any problem with creatinine? Only albumin present in urine. Is urine protein to creatinine ratio necessary?

#

These tests we perform to rule out any evidence of autoimmune kidney dysfunction, which can cause such issues. Most common reason is idiopathic nephrotic syndrome, but we call idiopathic only when we are sure there are no other causes.

Rise in serum creatinine does not occur in nephrotic syndrome commonly. We need urine protein to creatinine ratio, in order to monitor the albuminuria as a guide to the diagnosis. I would recommend in such case, to get either 24-hour urine protein or protein to creatinine ratio.

| 

How is vitiligo on lips treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has vitiligo on her lower lip. It came to our notice this year, and we consulted a doctor immediately. The doctor gave Dicaris 150 mg to be taken on the weekends of every week for four months. She finished 32 Dicaris tablets so far. She also used Melbild lotion at night and s...  Read Full »

Taking Azoran for myasthenia gravis. Will it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is a myasthenia gravis patient. He had undergone thymectomy four years back. Since then he is continuously taking Azoran 50, an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Surgeons are not able to suggest him for reducing the amount of drugs. Available neurologists also do not have any exp...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Nephrologist Now