Q. Does my LFT report indicate fatty liver?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 50 year old male. I got my lipid profile, LFT and KFT done. I have attached the reports. Kindly check and suggest the following: Does LFT report indicate fatty liver? I consume 2-3 pegs of alcohol three times a week since last 14-15 years. If yes, then what precaution has to be taken? Can I take Liv 52? My triglycerides was 400 last year, but reduced this year. My cholesterol, HDL and LDL are the same as last year. I have some sleeping problem too. I am drinking amla and aloe vera juice daily. I am taking Isabgol in the evening and Revital capsule every alternate day. Please help.

#

We are here to help you.

I have studied your case history and reports too (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your report is suggestive of alcoholic hepatitis or fatty liver disease. You should go ahead for an ultrasound abdomen to see the status of liver.
  • Your triglycerides are extremely high and you require medicine for that.
  • Get your tests repeated after a month. If your triglycerides are high even after your efforts, then you would need treatment for that.

Revert back after the repeat tests to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks for the reply. I need few more clarifications. How serious is this fatty liver disease? Can it be reversed after taking all precautions? Shall I start taking Liv 52? Please suggest any other medication. Shall I keep taking Revital? Do I need to stop alcohol completely? Or can I take once a while? My waist is only 33 inches.

#

• No, fatty liver is not reversible. But, you can halt its progression.
  • Your liver enzymes are raised, which can get normal with lifestyle changes as discussed. Liv 52 (Liver Care) is not going to help you.
  • No medicines for one month. If it persists even on repeat test, then I would advise you some medicines.
  • Yes, you can take Revital (nutritional supplement).
  • You should completely stop taking alcohol.
  • You are not fat, but still continue your exercises.

Follow up after a month to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|