iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal MedicinealcoholismPlease suggest a permanent solution for abdominal water retention.

What could be done to resolve abdominal water retention?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At February 22, 2016
Reviewed AtApril 22, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 33 year old male. I am having regular water retention problem, specially on the abdomen region. It fluctuates quite a bit and so does my weight on the scale. Sometimes there is a lot of discomfort to even wear normal trousers on certain days. This, however, is most prominent on the days after consuming alcohol the previous night. This has been there for the past 3-4 years, but recently I have observed that this swollen abdomen region remains for couple of days. I have had a thyroid test last month which was normal and general health checkup every year including ECG has always been normal. I am not under any medication and no known ailments. I should also add that my LFT test was done about a year back and that was normal as well. It is just too uncomfortable on certain days to wear the usual clothes (trousers) and I would like seek a permanent solution to this problem. Kindly advise. Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all we have to find the cause for this. If no cause is found then we would call it idiopathic. I would recommend you to do blood tests for hemoglobin, liver function test, kidney function test, thyroid profile, blood sugar, and urine for albumin. You should avoid alcohol, take low salt diet and do regular exercises.

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Further to your reply, I must add that liver function test was conducted about a year ago and was normal. Hemoglobin, thyroid profile and blood sugar were all done two months back and were all normal including CBC and general urine test the same day. However, if you require I would do again and get you the reports. Due to my nature of work, I go through complete body checkup and general blood and urine tests every year, and nothing abnormal has been found till date. I do understand that alcohol must be avoided, as the water retention is most prominent. Though I am more curious why none of the people around me have this problem, and to be sure that there is no underlying medical condition. Thanks again for your quick response.


Welcome back to icliniq.com. Get the tests done once again. If all are normal you have idiopathic water retention and there are many people who have this complaint. My sincere advice would be to avoid alcohol as far as possible and do avoid consumption of salt containing snacks.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anshul Varshney
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

alcoholismwater retention

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy