Q. Is it safe to drink alcohol after stomach biopsy?

Published on Jul 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I received an upper endoscopy and biopsy about 10 hours ago. My weight is 150 lbs and I was given 50 mcg of Fentanyl and 180 mg of Propofol for sedation. The procedure was successful and there were no immediate complications. I came home and rested for several hours and have plans to go out with some friends. I would like to consume two or three pegs of alcohol. Am I safe to drink alcohol? The only side effect I am feeling now is slight stomach irritation from the biopsy and nothing else. Please let me know.

#

• I would like to suggest avoiding alcoholic beverages and spicy hot foods. The reason is the stomach biopsy.
  • I am not worried about the sedation. If you do not have cloudiness of mind, then you are good.
  • You just got the stomach biopsy. It would be in the best interest of your health if you could avoid foods and medications causing excessive irritation of the stomach for 24 to 48 hours.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Are H.pylori infection and stomach cancer interrelated?

Query: Hi doctor, In the past one month, I have been feeling like bloated stomach and uncomfortable as if my stomach was full. Initially, I went to a local doctor. However, that did not help me. Then, I went to a gastroenterologist, who initially gave me medicines and then did an endoscopy. Post the endosc...  Read Full »

Tests for stomach pain revealed a high eosinophil count. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a stomach ache from the last two months. It got worsened last week and I was admitted to a hospital. A lot of tests were done. The CBC revealed eosinophilia. The gastroscopy revealed an edematous duodenum. A duodenal biopsy was taken. I have attached my biopsy report. I want to u...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my acidity and chest heaviness?

Query: Hi doctor, 9 years before, I delivered my first baby. Since after delivery, I have suffered from breathing problem. Only when I release the gas or pass motion, I use to feel relieved. I underwent all the tests and everything was normal. It lasted for 2 years and then subsided. My diet was completely...  Read Full »