Q. What is your opinion about my symptoms?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

I used to have mild abdominal pain in the lower right part of the stomach. I was diagnosed with PPD six months ago and continued my regular medicine (no ATD). Since then, I occasionally get severe pain at the very same location and it lasts for around 4 to 6 hours. This pain was not regular, but may recur once in 20, 30 or 60 days. After three months, I had my USG, CT scan and colonoscopy with biopsy. The biopsy report shows that I may have either TB or Crohn's disease.

#

• Please explain if you have any other symptoms, bowel habits (constipation or diarrhea), consistency of stool, blood or mucus in stool, appetite and fever?
  • If you have increased frequency of stool, loose stool and mucus in stool, then there might be possible Crohn's disease. Generally, you might have vague, generalized pain in the lower abdomen.
  • If you have decreased appetite, occasional fever, localized pain in the right side abdomen and enlarged mesenteric lymph nodes in the investigation, then you might have abdominal tuberculosis.
  • Still, if the diagnosis is unclear, then I suggest to take medicines for TB for four weeks and then repeat the colonoscopy with biopsy. If there is any improvement, then continue the treatment for six months for TB.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I roughly have good digestion. Sometimes, it is alright and other times become worst. I used to have regular fever for the past six to eight months during nights only. I do not have much appetite, but lately fever has gone and I started eating more. There is no blood, but sometime mucus in stool. Yes, I have vague pain in the lower abdomen. I am attaching my various reports. I already contacted a gastroenterology surgeon and he just advised me to get operated and remove the part of the affected area. However, I am very afraid of this and seeking an advice if it can be treated without an operation. I have been on liquid food for the past 20 days just to avoid any further pain, which may occur occasionally.

#

• The possibility of tuberculosis is more likely after evaluating your reports.
  • You need to start medication for tuberculosis. Then, follow up colonoscopy after four weeks of treatment for tuberculosis.
  • Surgery in abdominal tuberculosis is the last option to treat severe symptoms, but it can never treat the disease itself (tuberculosis). If you have intolerable pain or intestine obstruction then only surgery is indicated.
  • After reviewing your history, I do not think about the requirement of surgery at present. Although, physical examination is as important as reviewing the investigation in such critical decision making scenarios.

| 

My abdominal pain did not reduce even after taking antibiotics. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not re...  Read Full »

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms pointing towards Crohn's disease?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 39-year-old female suffering from abdominal pain and intermittent diarrhea. Had a CT with contrast that revealed bowel wall thickening in ascending and transverse colon- possible transmural thickening, that may just be artifactual, but it did show up and warrant GI consult. Abdom...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»