Q. What are the causes of vitamin B12 deficiency in a non-vegetarian?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

I have vitamin B12 deficiency, even though I eat a lot of non-vegetarian food. A doctor prescribed me New Nervijen plus capsule. Is it safe to use?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

• Why did you get your vitamin B12 levels checked? What is your hemoglobin level? Do you drink alcohol?
  • You can use Nervijen capsule (combination of Benfotiamine, Folic acid, Methylcobalamin, Nicotinamide, and Pyridoxine hydrochloride) safely.

Revert with more information to a general medicine physician --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for clearing my doubt. We had a general medical checkup at the office, and my vitamin B12 was 143 pg/mL. My hemoglobin level is 5.2 g/dL. I do not drink alcohol, and I am quite healthy. The doctor asked me to take New Nervijen capsule for 30 days as vitamin B12 might not be getting absorbed.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

• There are some conditions where vitamin B12 deficiency can occur in a non-vegetarian like worm infestation and pernicious anemia.
  • In worm infestation, whatever we eat, the worms in our gut compete for absorption of vitamin B 12.
  • Pernicious anemia is a condition where there is a defect in the absorption of vitamin B 12. In such a case, even with oral medication, vitamin B 12 levels may not improve, as that also needs to go through the same absorption pathway.
  • For confirmatory diagnosis of pernicious anemia, we need to do an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy and take a gastric biopsy to look for atrophic gastritis.
  • Several noninvasive tests like antiparietal cell antibodies are recently available in the market. But, these have lower sensitivity and specificity compared to endoscopy and biopsy.
  • I would suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Tablet Zentel (Albendazole) 400 mg for three days at bedtime, which is a deworming agent.
  2. Capsule Nervijen for one month.
  • Repeat vitamin B12 test after a month. If it is normal, then there is nothing to worry. If it is still low, then get an antiparietal cell antibody blood test done.

Revert after a month to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|