Q. Which disease is associated with dry cough and high eosinophils in kids?

Dr. Simy Mathew
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter is 8 years old and she is having dry cough since last two months and sometimes she complains of stomach ache in a month. I got the blood test done yesterday and in the report, she had eosinophils high, that is, 8.7 % and the absolute eosinophils count is 59000/microliter of blood. Other findings are neutrophils 36.5 %, lymphocytes absolute count is 343000/microliter of blood. Monocytes absolute counts is 28000, and more. Kindly let us know what is the disease likely to be and treatment for that disease and precaution of the same.

#

Your daughter has hyperreactive airways and she is allergic. And reports show that she has a tendency towards asthma. I suggest you put her on Fluticasone puff and Levolin (Levosalbutamol) as a reliever. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

I suggest please go visit a general pediatrician or a pulmonologist - they will explain to you the inhaler therapy and months to continue it. She will be fine once she takes the therapy. But there is nothing much to panic.

Just wanted to ask if there is any other history in the family and has your daughter had seasonal attacks of cold and cough in the past. All these suggest her tendency for asthma.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Kindly suggest ayurvedic medicine for cough.

Query: Hello doctor, Since four days, I am having severe cough. What should I do? Please guide.  Read Full »

I took Flonase for hay fever and had chest tightness. Can I continue taking it?

Query: Hello doctor,I started taking Flonase at night for hay fever and when I wake up in the morning I am having wheezing and my chest is tight. I do not want to stop taking it because it is so helpful for my allergy symptoms but I am really worried about this side-effect. Current medications are Cymbalta...  Read Full »

What to do if I accidently got Fluticasone spray in the eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I think my Flonase (Fluticasone) nasal spray bottle was empty which is actually was and I have no idea what suddenly changed. I started pumping it which I usually have to do when it is empty before I reached my nostril, and a puff sprayed into my left eye. As I heard the sound, I imme...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»