Q. Can you take your diabetes medicines along with Benadryl syrup?

Dr. Radela Yvonne Cortes
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

My father had two pieces of large clams last night, and he experienced a food allergy to them. He complained about tingling sensation and swelling of his eyes. I gave him one tablet of Co-Altria Ped 5 mg at night. He is 63 years old and diabetic for a year. He uses Insulin injection, Lantus SoloStar 10 ml for maintenance, and takes Janumet 50 mg/ 500 mg daily in the morning and at night. This morning, he still had swollen eyes and no other symptoms. I gave him Benadryl syrup (antihistamine). Can he still take his daily maintenance medications for his diabetes?

#

Thanks for your query.

I assume that your father already has a known allergy to crustaceans because you identified clam as the source of his allergy. It was good that you gave him Co-Altria Ped 5 mg (Montelukast, Levocetirizine, and Dihydrochloride) and Benadryl (Ammonium Chloride, Diphenhydramine, and Sodium Citrate). However, the swelling may not resolve immediately. It may last for one to three days. I suggest that you give him Allerzet (Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride) 5 mg, one tablet after dinner for three to seven days. You can also continue giving him his medicines for diabetes as they are his maintenance medications. Please advise him strictly to avoid crustaceans because his reaction might worsen next time.

|