Q. What liver problem do the attached reports show?

Dr. Ankur Jindal
Published on Sep 28, 2017

Kindly take a look at the medical reports of the patient. He suffers from a liver problem, which suddenly started last week. Could you please diagnose the case and give your recommendations? Can the patient be treated with medication or should he go for surgery? Thank you.

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It appears to be a large cystic liver lesion. It is possibly the remains of an amoebic liver abscess or hydatid cyst.
  • I suggest getting an amoebic serology and hydatid serology. Also get a CEMRI (contrast-enhanced MRI) and MRCP (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatogram) of the abdomen, and CA 19-9 (cancer antigen) level.
  • I suggest starting Metrogyl (Metronidazole) 800 mg, three times daily and Cefuroxime. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. If hydatid serology is negative, then it will need aspiration.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an amebic liver abscess, 6x7 cm is considered a large one. It is a protozoal infection that has spread from colon to liver. Medications treat the abscess in most cases, in a small number of cases surgery is required. Eradication of protozoal infection from the...  Read Full

According to the reports, do I need an immediate liver CT scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. I had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago. Earlier, I was 540 lbs and now, my weight is 300 lbs. About 5 years ago, I started drinking hard alcohol (Vodka) weekly. As of three weeks ago, I started getting a tight, bloated, tingly sensation from my chest down to my ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern towards your abnormal laboratory values. Yes, you need a CT scan of the liver. Even, I suggest consulting your GI doctor for hospitalization. Your symptoms of tingling sensation and numbness are due to vitamin deficiencies. As you started ...  Read Full

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With this report, there is a possibility of malignancy. Cancer of the uterus is more likely. Do CA 125 level, CT scan abdomen and pelvis, X-ray, sonography, PET scan and consult a gynecologist near you and also take an opinion from an oncosurgeon. Doctors will do o...  Read Full