Q. How long will it take to recover from liver abscess surgery?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Nov 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I got a minor surgery for liver abscess and a drain was installed. Pus in the color of chocolate and little thick is coming out. Is it normal? How much time it will take to recover? For how many days the drain has to be installed?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the data you have posted. We need to know some more details about your problem.

• What was the size of abscess to which the drain was installed? How many liver abscesses were present? Any amebic serology was done?
  • What treatment you are on at present? What is the pus culture report?

Liver abscess is mainly of two types: Bacterial and amebic. From your description as chocolate like pus, it goes more in favor of amebic etiology. So, we need to keep you on tissue agents like Metronidazole, luminal agents like Diloxanide furoate and Paromomycin for elimination of ameba from the intestine. If pus culture grows bacteria or if abscesses are multiple, then we need to provide specific coverage against the organism. Depending upon the amount of pus inside, it is normal for draining of pus like that. Time to recovery depends upon the cause of amebic versus bacterial, size of the abscess and white blood cell count.

Drain needs to be continued until full drainage of the collection is done. Repeat ultrasound scan has to be performed to look for residual collection. Manipulation of the position of the drain may be needed for drainage of residual collection. Once the collection becomes dry, then the drain can be removed.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have a swollen red painful bump in my butt. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, A week ago I woke up with a very bad pain in my butt. I have a swollen red painful bump. I think I have hemorrhoid based on reading online symptoms. I tried preparation H cream and supposters, tuck pads, Cortisone cream, Aloe Vera gel but the pain did not go away. I cannot even pee. I...  Read Full »

What to do for a mole like projection in my lip?

Query: Hi doctor,A mole like projection has developed in my lip. It does not get cured. I bite my lip often. But, I feel it is very abnormal on my lip. Can you please help me?  Read Full »

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »