Q. Eating fatty foods give me severe stomach cramps. What could be the reason?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I am a 24 year old female. What could be the cause of a severe stomach pain that happens after eating nuts, seeds, and things with oil in them?

By oil, I mean even olive oil and not just greasy foods. This reaction has been happening for a year or so, and I have avoided these foods as a result.

I recently had rice with olive oil, and within five minutes, my stomach hurt so bad that it felt like the beginning or middle stages of labor.

I have taken a Pepcid, and it did nothing. I do not have any diarrhea or vomiting, just severe pain, and stomach cramps.

#

Severe stomach pain and cramps can be caused by pancreatitis and food allergy. In your case, both are equally probable. Pancreatitis is a common cause of pain that occurs after the intake of oil-rich foods. Food allergy is a diagnosis of exclusion.

I suggest the following investigations be done:

1. Serum amylase test during the pain episode.
  2. Complete blood count with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  3. Liver function test.
  4. Ultrasound of the upper abdomen, with a specific focus on the pancreas, preferably done during a pain episode.
  5. Stool routine examination.

Avoid all the precipitating agents. Further management methods can be decided after the investigations are done. Revert with the reports.

Revert with more information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|