Q. Is it advisable to take anti-malarial drug in a patient with positive ANA and CRP 1. 9?

Dr. Hariharan V
Published on Sep 08, 2019

I have pain all over my body, positive ANA and CRP 1.9. My doctor thinks I have lupus even though all the rest of the tests were negative. She wants me to take anti-malaria drugs. I am worried she is treating me full force without the proper positive tests.

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

High levels of CRP means that there is an inflammation going on inside your body. What is inflammation? It is a process where our white blood cells who are our protectors are attacking foreign bacterial or viral cells. Sometimes these white cells may turn against our own cells leading to chronic inflammation. That is why you are feeling pain all over.

The drug your doctor has prescribed is probably Hydroxychloroquine. We thought this tablet works only against malaria. But it also has other actions like lowering inflammation by our white cells. We similarly thought Aspirin is a drug for headache. But it is now widely used to prevent heart attacks and strokes. Many drugs have multiple actions.

So, please consider taking the drug your doctor has prescribed, which has the lowest side effects among antiinflammatory drugs and gives you definite relief on a long run.

Tests for stomach pain revealed a high eosinophil count. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a stomach ache from the last two months. It got worsened last week and I was admitted to a hospital. A lot of tests were done. The CBC revealed eosinophilia. The gastroscopy revealed an edematous duodenum. A duodenal biopsy was taken. I have attached my biopsy report. I want to u...  Read Full >>

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and the findings were normal. There is nothing to be worried about. You will need to use PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) to improve your symptoms. Regarding your eosinophilia, it may be el...  Read Full

Myasthenia Gravis

Article Overview: Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune neuromuscular junctional disease that results in muscular weakness. Learn about its symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
Rheumatologist

What Is Myasthenia Gravis? Myasthenia gravis (MG) is a Latin word meaning “grave (serious) muscle weakness.” It is an autoimmune neuromuscular junctional disease, caused by an antibody-mediated blockade of neuromuscular transmission resulting in skeletal muscle weakness. The first muscl...  Read Article

Testicular ultrasound showed multiple lesions. Do I need testicular biopsy to confirm cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had an ultrasound on my testicles and found multiple solid nodules or lumps and lesions in both testicles. He strongly suspects germ cell tumors. I have had blood tests done, and tumor markers and everything else is normal. I will be seeing a urologist in about two weeks. Do I have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Any testicular mass is treated as cancer unless proven otherwise. That is why it is advised to evaluate the lesions found by patient or ultrasound by surgical removal and detailed pathological examination.Whereas for most other sites, the biopsy is possible. The biopsy is n...  Read Full