Q. Is it advisable to take anti-malarial drug in a patient with positive ANA and CRP 1. 9?

Dr. Hariharan V

I have pain all over my body, positive ANA and CRP 1.9. My doctor thinks I have lupus even though all the rest of the tests were negative. She wants me to take anti-malaria drugs. I am worried she is treating me full force without the proper positive tests.

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

High levels of CRP means that there is an inflammation going on inside your body. What is inflammation? It is a process where our white blood cells who are our protectors are attacking foreign bacterial or viral cells. Sometimes these white cells may turn against our own cells leading to chronic inflammation. That is why you are feeling pain all over.

The drug your doctor has prescribed is probably Hydroxychloroquine. We thought this tablet works only against malaria. But it also has other actions like lowering inflammation by our white cells. We similarly thought Aspirin is a drug for headache. But it is now widely used to prevent heart attacks and strokes. Many drugs have multiple actions.

So, please consider taking the drug your doctor has prescribed, which has the lowest side effects among antiinflammatory drugs and gives you definite relief on a long run.

|