Q. Could bleeding ulcer be the reason for anal bleeding?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Dec 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have pain in the left side just below my breast all that way to the back. When I go to the bathroom, my stool has blood. It has been bleeding for two days, even without a bowel movement. The bleeding is in my anus. If I drink oregano team, then it will stop. But, will start bleeding after some time. What could it be? Can it be due to a bleeding ulcer? I have a previous history of gastritis. My regular medicines include Metformin ER 500 mg and Fluoxetine 20 mg.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

I can understand your concern on this issue.

The photograph which you uploaded indicates fresh blood in minute quantity (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Fresh blood from the anus on the surface of stool or without passing stool indicates a lesion in the lower part of the anal canal.

Most common lesion in this area that bleed is anal fissure in which there will be a linear tear on the inner wall of the lower part of the anal canal. Bleeding occurs generally from this tear while straining to pass stool.

Constipation is the risk factor for development of a fissure.

Bleeding ulcer also produces other symptoms such as mucus discharge, liquid consistency of stool and increased stool frequency.

Constipation.

Digital rectal examination and proctoscopy.

Hemorrhoids.

Anal fissure.

Treatment for pain and constipation. Local ointment application for active bleeding from a fissure.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full »

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full »

How can anal fissure be treated?

Query: Hello doctor,Six months ago, I faced anal fissure problem, which resolved through diet and medicine. One month ago due to constipation, bleeding started during the passing of stool. Now one inner hemorrhoid has protruded about 0.3 inches in size in the anal area. This creates pain for six hours afte...  Read Full »