Q. Could bleeding ulcer be the reason for anal bleeding?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have pain in the left side just below my breast all that way to the back. When I go to the bathroom, my stool has blood. It has been bleeding for two days, even without a bowel movement. The bleeding is in my anus. If I drink oregano team, then it will stop. But, will start bleeding after some time. What could it be? Can it be due to a bleeding ulcer? I have a previous history of gastritis. My regular medicines include Metformin ER 500 mg and Fluoxetine 20 mg.

#

I can understand your concern on this issue.

The photograph which you uploaded indicates fresh blood in minute quantity (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Fresh blood from the anus on the surface of stool or without passing stool indicates a lesion in the lower part of the anal canal.

Most common lesion in this area that bleed is anal fissure in which there will be a linear tear on the inner wall of the lower part of the anal canal. Bleeding occurs generally from this tear while straining to pass stool.

Constipation is the risk factor for development of a fissure.

Bleeding ulcer also produces other symptoms such as mucus discharge, liquid consistency of stool and increased stool frequency.

Constipation.

Digital rectal examination and proctoscopy.

Hemorrhoids.

Anal fissure.

Treatment for pain and constipation. Local ointment application for active bleeding from a fissure.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|