Q. I get a rectal bleed for the past four days. Is this due to hemorrhoids?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

I am a 23-year-old female. I noticed rectal bleeding this week. There is bright red blood in my stools. It has been four days since I found about it. I am not under any medications now. Lately, I have been trying to do a low-carb diet, and since I started that. Of course, I do not pass stools as often as I do before. And there was one time when I had to force myself to pass stool because I feel like I need to, but it did not come out. If this is just because of constipation, that might lead to hemorrhoids or something worse like cancer.

#

I understand your concern. Yes, you have rightly diagnosed yourself. Because of constipation, you have hard stools, which might have led to anal fissures or hemorrhoids. There is nothing much to worry about. You need to visit a surgeon to get a digital rectal examination done. I am prescribing medications for constipation.

Also, it is not the low carbs diet which is causing constipation. Instead, it is the low fiber and low fluid intake, causing your problem.

Digital rectal examination.

Tablet Bisacodyl 10 mg (one tablet at night), syrup lactulose 2 teaspoons in lukewarm milk at night before sleep. You can consume these for three days. Practice sitz bath (Take a tub and fill with lukewarm water. Pour in a few drops of potassium permanganate and sit in it for about 15-20 minutes for two times in a day). You can practice this for as long as you want.

High fiber diet. Take 2-3 liters of fluid intake daily.

|