Q. I get a rectal bleed for the past four days. Is this due to hemorrhoids?

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

I am a 23-year-old female. I noticed rectal bleeding this week. There is bright red blood in my stools. It has been four days since I found about it. I am not under any medications now. Lately, I have been trying to do a low-carb diet, and since I started that. Of course, I do not pass stools as often as I do before. And there was one time when I had to force myself to pass stool because I feel like I need to, but it did not come out. If this is just because of constipation, that might lead to hemorrhoids or something worse like cancer.

#

I understand your concern. Yes, you have rightly diagnosed yourself. Because of constipation, you have hard stools, which might have led to anal fissures or hemorrhoids. There is nothing much to worry about. You need to visit a surgeon to get a digital rectal examination done. I am prescribing medications for constipation.

Also, it is not the low carbs diet which is causing constipation. Instead, it is the low fiber and low fluid intake, causing your problem.

Digital rectal examination.

Tablet Bisacodyl 10 mg (one tablet at night), syrup lactulose 2 teaspoons in lukewarm milk at night before sleep. You can consume these for three days. Practice sitz bath (Take a tub and fill with lukewarm water. Pour in a few drops of potassium permanganate and sit in it for about 15-20 minutes for two times in a day). You can practice this for as long as you want.

High fiber diet. Take 2-3 liters of fluid intake daily.

| 

What is the reason for anal bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very much worried about my girlfriend, who is 31 years old now. She tends to bleed when she urinates and also when she goes for toilet. She is having this bleeding problem for about two to three years, usually on and off. Previously, she did not have a good diet, usually eats only ...  Read Full »

My motion is hard and there is an ulcer inside my anus. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old, boy, my height is 158 cm and weight is 61 kg. I am suffering from motion problem. My motion is not proper. It is getting too hard and timing is not proper I feel, something like ulcer is there inside of my anus. Please help me.  Read Full »

What could be the reason for hard and soft stool with body pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My stool is hard first and then it becomes soft. Otherwise, it is soft always. I pass stool once daily like other people, also I have no pain in the stomach. But due to soft stools, my legs and other body parts are always in pain. When I get up early in the morning I feel very tired due ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»