Common "Hard Stools" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Hard Stools

Hard stools occur as a result of constipation. It occurs when there is a slow movement of food in the colon, and due to this, there is increased absorption of water in the colon. The other symptoms presenting with hard stools are abdominal pain, bleeding while passing stool, and straining to have a bowel movement. Hardening of stools can occur due to diet, medication, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), anxiety, toilet training anxiety, and pregnancy. Taking laxative medications, stool softeners, dietary changes, and more fluid intake with supplements help to treat it.