Hard Stools

Will hard stools and constipation lead to rectal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23-year-old female. I noticed rectal bleeding this week. There is bright red blood in my stools. It has been four days since I found about it. I am not under any medications now. Lately, I have been trying to do a low-carb diet, and since I started that. Of course, I do not pass...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Yes, you have rightly diagnosed yourself. Because of constipation, you have hard stools, which might have led to anal fissures or hemorrhoids. There is nothing much to worry about. You need to visit a surgeon to get a digital rectal exami...  Read Full »

Can Pizotifen cause constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have chronic migraines for the past 15 to 16 years and was diagnosed with type A migraine earlier this year. I was on Sandomigran (Pizotifen 0.5 mg) that I was taking for the past three months. The migraines episodes have dropped considerably, and the quality of life regarding daily he...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are right, as a few people do experience severe constipation with Sandomigran (Pizotifen). First, we would try to workout on constipation, but if we fail to improve it in a few weeks, we would consider switching to alternative drugs for migraines. Very important her...  Read Full »

What causes burning sensation while passing stools?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4.5-year-old baby is complaining of a burning feel whenever he passes stool. One day he passed a hard stool since then, he is saying like that. It has been one and a half months now and is not getting healed. I can see some redness outside the anus and no idea about inside. I am appl...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This sometimes happens even when they are not passing hard stools. But you still will have to give stool softeners. Please do the following: 1. Do not give him any oily or spicy food for two weeks. 2. Do not give him biscuits, cakes, chocolates, chips, carbona...  Read Full »

How to manage anal fissures permanently?

Query: Hello doctor,I have anal fissures for the past seven weeks, the big wound is curing, but the small wound remains uncured. I have a previous history of these same issues ten years back. I am currently taking Fidonal ointment and antibiotics, which cured only 80% of my wound.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An anal fissure is a wound in the anal canal caused by various reasons such as overactive anal sphincter pressure, passing hard stools, straining at defecation, and rarely also in Crohn's disease. I hope the doctor has evaluated you for the same. Usually, anal fissures ta...  Read Full »

Can you please suggest a diet for my son to recover from constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, My son has been suffering from constipation for the last 30 days. His stool is extremely hard and he literally suffers while doing it. He has to put a lot of pressure and do it. He drinks plenty of water, fruit juices and bananas too but still no effect. Previously the situation was not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for writing us and I understand your concern. Can you please confirm the age and weight of your child? This can be due to low fibers in the diet, so please continue with vegetables and give him lukewarm water in the morning. It will help him to pass stool easily...  Read Full »

Do tiredness, stomach pain and fullness, and difficulty passing stools need urgent care?

Query: Hello!! I am a 31 year old female. So I have not been feeling good for awhile now and I have no idea what is going on. I have been to doctors and a visit to urgent care, but they kind of dismiss me. They look at me and say that I am fine. They run CT scans and basic blood work, which they say are a...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello. Greetings from icliniq . I understand your concern . Your symptoms are related to each other . Due to chronic constipation, you have been feeling full and so your appetite has reduced . Your rectum remains full most of the times , due to which you have been experiencing lower pelvic pain. ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for pain and burning sensation after passing stools.

Query: I had a hard stool a month back and since after that I start feeling sharp pain, burning issues. First I thought it was anal fissures and I increase my water intake and fiber in my diet to keep the constipation away while healing. And start consulting a homeopethic doc. I also took Toronale cream bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello dear. I welcome you to icliniq. First of all avoid finger insertion yourself this would cause pain and non healing of the anal fissure. Your symptoms quite match with the anal fissure, and should heal with the avoidance of constipation and cream that you are applying. Further you can add Xy...  Read Full »

I have not passed stool since eight days. Will I die of constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have not passed stool from the past eight days. This is the third time I am constipated, the last two times it got fixed within 2 to 3 days. I have tried everything, and yesterday I went to a doctor, who gave me a lot of medicines. I took all the medicines yesterday night as well as to...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have severe constipation, for which we need to clear the impaction. If you are passing gas and there is no distention of abdomen, then we can give a dose of laxatives, although you may require more doses. I suggest you get an x-ray abdomen and share the report. I sug...  Read Full »

Does one forced bowel movement or intermittent constipation cause hernia?

Query: Can you get a hernia (hiatal, etc) from one forced bowel movement (really forced) or intermittent constipation (lasts for a few weeks-2-3)? I recently had a forced bowel movement (Really bad) and immediately after I got a shoulder and neck pain (more shoulder)? Is that a cause for concern?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello dear. I welcome you to icliniq. Well the science and nature is quite varied and works in their own way, as far as my experience is concerned, I have not see the hernia happening from one forceful bowel movement. The constipation is not a inciting event though, it is a perpetuating event defin...  Read Full »

What is the reason for biloma, stomach pain and hard stools post gallbladder removal?

Query: Hello doctor, Before two months, I had my gallbladder removed. Two months after, I had a 9 mm stone lodged. However, this did not resolve the issue. One week ago, they found a biloma however, my surgeon does not think it is a issue though I am experiencing stomach pain and lake stools. His conclusi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your surgeon seems to be doing the right things. There are several other reasons to think the alternative diagnosis like peptic ulcer disease, biliary reflux, post cholecystectomy pain, or functional abdominal pain. The factors which predispose you to develop a...  Read Full »