Q. Kindly tell me whether surgery is needed for anal fissure.

Dr. Suraj Kumar Choudhary Konka

I am feeling severe pain when I pass stool. Also, have a couple of blood veins flowing out in the anus. I visited a hospital, the doctor said I had cut which is called fissure. Should I go for surgery? But I do not want to. Is there any way that with medication or any other way it can be cured?

Dr. Suraj Kumar Choudhary Konka

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have gone through your complaints. Looks like you have a fissure in the anus. You need to understand one thing. It is not going to heal unless you stop straining while passing stools. As it is a wound at the passage it causes your anal sphincter to go into contraction in pain further causing you to strain and it becomes a cycle. You need a high fiber diet. You can supplement with psyllium husk powder. Also, there is a procedure where dilatation of the anal canal is done to help relax the anal sphincter to facilitate wound healing thus avoiding surgery.

|