Q. What is the recommended treatment for recurrent anal fissure?

Dr. Noushif M
Published on Dec 03, 2019

Four years back, I got constipation for two days and due to that I had some mass near my anal opening, but it does not cause any pain or bleeding while defecation. Doctor told it is a sentinel and no treatment is required. Now two years back I had an anal fissure. It got healed but reappear after every two or three months. I also follow my diet regime and water intake but still, it reappears mildly with mild pain. Will it ever be treated by medicines or I need surgery? Currently, I am not taking any medicines. Please suggest.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

The sentinel pile mass you have is due to an underlying chronic fissure. The issues with fissure are usually aggravated by constipation. The main factor to avoid fissure is to avoid constipation or hard stools or even straining at stools. When you have a chronic fissure you have to follow these measures.

1. Dietary precautions, avoid constipating foods.

2. Good hydration, drink two to three liters of water.

3. Use laxatives like lactulose syrup as and when needed to avoid constipation. These can be used at night so as to have a good bowel movement in the morning.

4. Anal creams containing Lignocaine (Smuth, Anovate, etc) or Diltiazem (Diltigesic) when you have pain.

Surgery is done only when you have acute fissure with severe intolerable pain. Not preferred in chronic fissure as is your condition. Pain occurs due to spasm of the sphincter muscle and surgery aims at its division partly. It will be effective only when it is acute. You can now continue your dietary measures, laxatives, and anal cream as and when needed.

| 

How can anal fissure be treated?

Query: Hello doctor,Six months ago, I faced anal fissure problem, which resolved through diet and medicine. One month ago due to constipation, bleeding started during the passing of stool. Now one inner hemorrhoid has protruded about 0.3 inches in size in the anal area. This creates pain for six hours afte...  Read Full »

Is there any medication or laxatives to cure constipation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from constipation. Stool is so hard and has got stuck in the colon. I am on keto diet. So, fiber intake is low which may be the reason. Is there any medication or laxatives that I can take?  Read Full »

I have swelling in perianal area due to G-string. Is it herpes?

Query: Hello doctor, A week back, I wore a G-string that was a little snug and I accidentally fell asleep in it. The next day, I noticed that my perineum and anal area were sore so that night I got a mirror and looked and noticed that there was a straight swollen line from my anus to my vagina opening rig...  Read Full »

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now