Q. What is causing loud noices from stomach?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz
Published on Mar 30, 2019

My stomach makes a lot of loud noises even though I am not hungry. I have anemia and when I started to take Ferrous sulfate, my stomach noises begin again. I remember that eventually, I started to feel pain along with it. So my doctor adviced me to stop taking the medicine for a month until my stomach calms down and start taking the tablets again. I also switched to Ferrous fumarate but that does not help. I began taking the tablets again, at first I felt pain which eventually disappeared although the noises are back again and it is getting worse. It is also bothering me because it is loud especially when I am in the middle of the lecture in the university. Please help me.

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Some people do have rumbling noise in the tummy. Is there any associated nausea or vomiting or abdominal distension? Have you lost weight? How is your appetite? You have not mentioned the reason for your taking Ferrous fumarate? What was the cause of your anemia? Was these cause related to any problem in your abdomen or intestines? Have you had any surgeries in the abdomen?

If you are continuing to have symptoms and you think it is related to taking Ferrous fumarate, you can substitute it with parenteral Iron infusion, but that would need a new prescription and visit to the day-care hospital or GP surgery on regular intervals till your body iron stores are stable. If you have copies of any previous tests, please upload. It would be informative to guide me in giving a comprehensive opinion.

So far I never vomited yet although I sometimes feel like I am going to vomit. I also felt discomfort in my stomach especially when I was still taking the Ferrous sulphate twice a day. I have not lost weight and I think my appetite is fine because I still try to eat something even though I feel like I do not want to eat. I take Ferrous fumarate as an alternative medicine (prescribed by my doctor) because the Ferrous sulphate caused me so much discomfort. They said the cause of my anemia is excessive bleeding (menstruation) because my period used to last more than a week, my longest one was almost three weeks but I did not get my period every month back then.

No, I never had any surgeries in the abdomen in the past. According to my last blood test, the doctor said that my blood levels are now normal. Although I was still prescribed to take one tablet a day to keep it stable. Is the parenteral Iron infusion like a needle?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Ferrous fumarate is usually well tolerated in most people. If your anemia has been corrected, and recent hemoglobin and ferritin values were normal, you can consider discontinuing it. Parenteral Iron is given as an infusion through a venous access, it does involve needles. For the rumbling noise in the tummy, try having your meals on time or having a small snack in between meals, consumption of a moderate quantity of yogurt daily also helps. If this does not help, you could also try any over-the-counter probiotics for two weeks. These measures usually help. All the best.

Tips To Prevent Iron Deficiency Anemia In Children

Article Overview: Have you as a parent observed symptoms like lethargy in your kids? Or even difficulty in breathing? If so, do get a complete blood test done to check your child’s hemoglobin levels. If the hemoglobin count is too low, your child may be suffering from iron deficiency anemia. It may be due to various reasons. Having a lot of worms may also reflect symptoms like iron deficiency anemia in children. Also, a diet lacking in iron may force your child to develop anemia. Certain malabsorption disorders and gut disorders may also lead to iron deficiency anemia. Piles in children can lead to anemia. Children who are deficient in iron may have certain cravings for non-nutritive foods like chalk. These are symptoms to figure out if your child is deficient in iron. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Iron deficiency anemia can certainly be prevented by following the tips mentioned below. Make Your Kid Consume Iron Rich Sources Iron deficiency anemia can be prevented by consuming iron-rich foods like a diet consisting of enough greens, chicken, liver, garden cress seeds and flaxseeds. If your c...  Read Article

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full