Q. What is the treatment for slipped capital femoral epiphysis?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2022

Avascular necrosis was caused by a slipped capital femoral epiphysis of the left hip in my 12-year-old girl. What is the treatment apart from a hip replacement? I need help. My daughter is in the middle of a bridge.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

1. AVN (avascular necrosis) in pediatric patients requires injection of Zoledronic acid (single dose per year for three years) in specific doses, which are lower than adult doses depending upon the weight of the child.

This treatment seems to work in my practice and avoids a hip replacement for at least 10 to 12 years.

2. Other specific medicines need to be given with this single dose of Zoledronic acid to negate side effects like fever and malaise, which can happen for two days after the injection. This is the only non-surgical option present in the literature.

This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of the report or image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. Therefore, it should be correlated with clinical findings.

I suggest you consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take medicines with their consent.

|