Q. What are the ways to control anger?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I get angry easily and I become violent. Then I hit my wife due to no fault of hers.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It is not acceptable to be violent toward your spouse. Domestic violence is a crime. Many families break apart due to domestic violence. It is positive that you are insightful of your anger issues and want to seek help. Have you always been an angry person since childhood or is it something you developed in recent years? Are you violent outside home as well? Are there any stressors in your life contributing to your angry outbursts?

You will benefit from counseling for anger management. It will also be helpful to understand whether there are any underlying emotional problems that are driving your anger. You can also try these self-help interventions. It is important for you to develop positive coping strategies. Try to have a positive relationship with your family members even though your views may be different. Try to look at the good things provided by your family. Exercise regularly. It will lift your mood and help you to feel good about yourself. Do not isolate yourself. It will worsen your situation. Try to open up and talk to like-minded people. Eat regularly and sleep well. Avoid alcohol and too many fast foods. Try yoga or meditation to calm yourself. Try progressive muscle relaxation exercises and deep breathing exercises.

|