Q. What is the treatment modality for stage 3 angiosarcoma?

Dr. Chaitra. P
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2019

My mum has angiosarcoma in the leg. Amputation would be the only option. But she is not a suitable candidate for surgery. Will radiotherapy help in this condition? Please suggest.

#

The usual treatment for angiosarcoma is the removal of the cancerous tumor by surgery. However, in those patients who are unfit for surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy are alternatives.

Radiotherapy involves the use of radiations to dissolve the tumor and chemotherapy involves medicines for the same.

Both these nuclear medicine treatment modalities are palliative. They may help control the spread of the tumor and also to a certain extent shrink it. However, the prognosis of these treatments depends on the stage of the disease.

Thank you for your answer. Chemotherapy is not an option because of her kidneys. She is in stage 3 now. According to you, how long will she survive? My dad is in denial. But I have to be practical.

#

I understand your concern.

Stage 3 of the disease indicates that the tumor has progressed to other parts of the body apart from where it is formed. The tumor may further progress to stage 4 which is usually unmanageable or occasionally it can halt. The rate at which it progresses cannot be specifically quoted as other parameters like age, other coexistent illnesses can interfere.

Radiotherapy is not a definitive option like surgery and may not prolong survival. However, it is the utmost duty of treating physician to offer all the palliative treatments available to a patient.

It remains to the patient's and caretaker's choice to opt for any.

|