Q. Is it advisable to take Spironolactone in a patient with history of pulmonary embolism?

Dr. Smrita Singh

I had a pulmonary embolism as a teenager 10 years ago after taking Yasmin for acne. I was wondering if Spironolactone would be safe to use or could it cause me another embolism? I have a mild form of PCOS. Accutane did not work and acne creams do not work. Currently, I am using Minocycline.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Spironolactone does not increase the risk of thrombosis. You can take it but you need to monitor your potassium levels. Spironolactone increase your potassium levels. Avoid eating food items that are rich in potassium while taking the medication to prevent a sudden increase in potassium levels which can be fatal. Start with a low dose and take the medication regularly. You need to take the medication for at least six months to see a noticeable difference. Do not stop the medicine suddenly. The dose needs to be gradually decreased. Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration since it is a diuretic.

|