Is it safe to take Spironolactone, as I have a history of pulmonary embolism ten years back?

Q. Is it advisable to take Spironolactone in a patient with history of pulmonary embolism?

Dr. Singh Smrita

I had a pulmonary embolism as a teenager 10 years ago after taking Yasmin (Ethinyl Estradiol and Drospirenone combination) for acne. I was wondering if Spironolactone would be safe to use or could it cause me another embolism? I have a mild form of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Accutane did not work and acne creams do not work. Currently, I am using Minocycline. Kindly provide your assistance.

#

I have gone through all your details and appreciate your concern. Spironolactone does not increase the risk of thrombosis. You can take it but you need to monitor your potassium levels. Spironolactone increase your potassium levels. Avoid eating food items that are rich in potassium while taking the medication to prevent a sudden increase in potassium levels which can be fatal. Start with a low dose and take the medication regularly. You need to take the medication for at least six months to see a noticeable difference. Do not stop the medicine suddenly. The dose needs to be gradually decreased. Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration since it is a diuretic.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer. For further queries, you can consult me at icliniq. Thank you.

|