Q. How to reduce the pain and swelling caused by an injured ankle?

Dr. Abdul Rasheed

I hurt my left ankle two days ago, which is still swollen and slightly discolored. I have pain when I walk, especially when I twist or extend my foot. I have been resting, icing, and taking painkillers, which have helped reduce the swelling to some extent but not completely.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

I reviewed your history and the images you have attached (attachment was removed to protect the patient's identity). Unfortunately, you have sprained the lateral side of your left ankle. The discoloration is due to the bruise, which indicates one of your ankle ligaments may have partially torn or been severely sprained. You have been doing a great job by taking care of your ankle with an elevation ice pack and rest.

So I suggest you to follow a few instructions mentioned below.

1. Get X-rays of the left ankle, a musculoskeletal scan of the involved ankle, and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).
  2. Take tablet Ibuprofen (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) 400 mg thrice daily if there are no contraindications.
  3. Take tablet Reparil (Amorphous Aescin) once daily for one week.
  4. Apply an ice pack.
  5. Continue keeping the leg elevated.
  6. Avoid weight bearing on the affected site.

Kindly consult a specialist, talk to them and take medications with their content.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|