Q. Why are my medial malleolus and calcaneus swollen?

My medial malleolus and calcaneus are swelled. Please help.

#

The common cause of swelling in the area of medial malleoli are ankle sprain and strain.

Gout needs to be investigated with the help of serum uric acid and by having an X-ray.

I suggest you apply Crepe Bandages and take Naprosyn (Naproxen) 500 mg twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Give rest to the ankle.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

I have checked my uric acid and it is normal. It is 5. The swelling is for the last two months and I am having a little burning sensation in the swollen area.

#

If there is no sprain or strain then you will need a PDUS (power Doppler ultrasound) or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of joints.

This is because ankle arthritis can also occur in sarcoidosis and inflammatory arthritis.

In addition, check ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) level so that the level of inflammation in the body can be assessed.

|