HomeAnswersInternal Medicineankle sprainI got a sprain in my ankle while playing soccer. Kindly help.

I sprained my ankle while playing soccer. Please help.


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At March 13, 2017
Reviewed AtSeptember 12, 2023

Patient's Query


I sprained my ankle while playing soccer. The ball hit the outside of my foot, causing my ankle to turn inward, and it popped few times. I also landed on it sideways in the same position. They took me to the hospital, where they told it was a moderate sprain. At first, it hurt to walk, but it did not hurt the following days. The doctor put me on crutches and a splint, which I only used for a day. It has been a week since I sprained it, there is still the pain in the top part of the ankle. The swelling went from none, to swollen to little swelling. I can play on it, but sometimes I feel pain. I have gone to my chiropractor twice, and it is still very tender around the top part of the ankle and the side of the leg, where those ligaments go upward. There is still slight pain while pointing my foot and turning it outward. My main concern is when I am sitting with my legs on the table, and when I try turning my ankle inward, I feel as though something in my ankle is shifting (like something is dislocated). My chiropractor tried adjusting the ankle, and it popped, but it did not affect the dislocated feeling. I have asked other people who I know have sprained their ankle, but they said they have never felt that. Should I be concerned? I am currently taking Advil.


Welcome to icliniq.com. It isvery unlikely to be dislocated. The ankle joint is a very stable joint, and it will not be dislocated. And, the major fracture would have been much painful, and there would have been an inability to walk. So do not worry, I think it is just a feeling, not an actual dislocation. An ankle sprain may take a long time to resolve, and it is ideal to avoid excess load on your foot, till injury is healed. You should also use crepe bandage for it. You can get an x-ray of the foot and ankle, anteroposterior and oblique view, to rule out minor fracture and doubts. You can use Diclofenac gel or spray if it gets too painful. So I think, it is not the matter to worry. Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy