Q. I sprained my ankle while playing soccer. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 10, 2021

I sprained my ankle while playing soccer. The ball hit the outside of my foot, causing my ankle to turn inward, and it popped few times. I also landed on it sideways in the same position. They took me to the hospital, where they told it was a moderate sprain. At first, it hurt to walk, but it did not hurt the following days. The doctor put me on crutches and a splint, which I only used for a day. It has been a week since I sprained it, there is still the pain in the top part of the ankle. The swelling went from none, to swollen to little swelling. I can play on it, but sometimes I feel pain. I have gone to my chiropractor twice, and it is still very tender around the top part of the ankle and the side of the leg, where those ligaments go upward. There is still slight pain while pointing my foot and turning it outward.

My main concern is when I am sitting with my legs on the table, and when I try turning my ankle inward, I feel as though something in my ankle is shifting (like something is dislocated). My chiropractor tried adjusting the ankle, and it popped, but it did not affect the dislocated feeling. I have asked other people who I know have sprained their ankle, but they said they have never felt that. Should I be concerned? I am currently taking Advil.

#

• It is very unlikely to be dislocated. The ankle joint is a very stable joint, and it will not be dislocated. And, the major fracture would have been much painful, and there would have been an inability to walk.
  • So do not worry, I think it is just a feeling, not an actual dislocation.
  • An ankle sprain may take a long time to resolve, and it is ideal to avoid excess load on your foot, till injury is healed.
  • You should also use crepe bandage for it. You can get an x-ray of the foot and ankle, anteroposterior and oblique view, to rule out minor fracture and doubts.
  • You can use Diclofenac gel or spray if it gets too painful.

So I think, it is not the matter to worry. Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|